Can't un-tar a file!

Pepse

Guest BooYah

Allright, you should be good to go. I don't use sane or a scanner, so I can't help you with the installation process, but if you're sure that's where you want to unpack it then go ahead and:

cd /home/Jim/Sane

tar -vxzf plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz

No, that ain't where I want it. It's got to be untarred in the sane-backends file after I first uncompress it. That is where my problem is, I can't seem to get the sane-plustek file to untar in the sane-backends directory.

Pepse.

Guest BooYah
I can't seem to get the sane-plustek file to untar in the sane-backends directory.

OK, Where is the sane-backends directory? Move the file there, then navigate yourself to that directory and unpack it using the same command

tar -vxzf FILENAME.tar.gz

The sane-backends directory is in the Sane directory. And I put the sane-plustek tar in the Sane directory, also. After I uncompress the sane-backends file I am to: "cd sane-backends-1.0.12" and then when I get to that diectory I am to uncompress the sane-plustek-0.45-5 file in there. I am that far but the da*n plustek file won't untar in the sane-backends diectory.

Pepse.

Guest BooYah

Here's one way you can move it, assuming that /home/Jim/Sane/sane-backends-1.0.12 exists:

mv -v /home/Jim/Sane/plustek-sane-0.45-5.tar.gz /home/Jim/Sane/sane-backends-1.0.12

That should put it where you want it, then you can follow the rest of the instructions.

If this doesn't work do

ls -l /home/Jim/Sane/

and copy and paste the results here, and someone else will have to help you the rest of the way, becuase I've got to head to the dojo.

Good Luck!

:D Hey, that worked; moving the plustek-sane to the sane-backends directory. Still it is rather strange that I had to go about it that way. But, thanx alot for your help.

Later. Pepse.

The battle isn't over yet. My scanner isn't recognized by anything; well almost anything. In my USB view the scanner is listed on my USB hub but it is listed in RED, whereas my USB mouse is listed in black. I did "modprobe scanner", nothing. I did "sane-find-scanner", nothing. I did "scanimage --version" and it comes back as (sane-backends) 1.0.8; backend version 1.0.8 . I did "cat /proc/bus/usb/devices" and it finds the scanner and gives me the info I need for making changes in "/etc/sane.d/plustek.conf", which I did. I "cd" to "/etc" then went to midnight commander to /sane.d and edited the file to show the vendor number and product number and also to change the line "/dev/usbscanner" to "/dev/usb/scanner0" as I have read in the plustek readme and I can't remember where else I read this stuff. What seems to be my big problem is that it still comes up with the Mandrake 9.0 installed version of Sane. Is it possible that I have to move (mv) everything in my Sane diectory to somewhere else?? And I (for what it was worth) rebooted the computer and nothing changed.

Cannonfodder, I don't know why your plustek stuff is different than mine; in Sane's page it points to the fact that I need to download the Plustek 0.45-5 tarball. Like I said it is a new Epson Perfection 1250 Photo USB scanner. Also, I didn't initially check your link to "here" because on my screen it looked to be the same color (black) that the rest of the sentence was.

Anyway that is where I am; still close to lost.

Pepse.

Also, I did "rpm -qa | grep sane" and the reply is: xsane-0.87-1mdk

sane-backends-1.0.8-5mdk

libsane1-1.0.8-5mdk

xsane-gimp-0.87-1mdk

And the I did: rpm -qa | grep plustek and the answer is: nothing comes up.