Installing Windows, without damaging linux

iphitus

Thanks

I'm not sure whether i'm going to reinstall Windows, i don't have a lot of data, less than a CD, a while ago i backed up a lot of it via USB to another computer and burnt it. MIght be able to do that again. I'll see. I've also been putting off buying the burner, so maybe now's a good time. I just don't know if it's worth it, the computer's old, 300mhz, 160ram, 6gb hdd, and i get a laptop next year.

Thanks all

I'll let you know what happens

James

I think you'll find that when you come to re install Windows it will see and grab the whole drive and not just the partition it was originally on. That's what you get with an arrogant OS. Correct me if I'm wrong people please.

PMFBI' date=' but you're wrong. I have done this several times. The Windows installation expects partitioning to have been done beforehand and uses what it finds. Just reinstall Windows (I assume 9x) as normal - it will only see the FAT32 partitions. HTH

Neil Haughton[/quote']

Well, well, I didn't know that :) Thanks for the info I will bear that in mind for the future.

just a little further info:

While Win98 may only see FAT32 partitions, different versions of Windows will-sort of-see more. I.E. 2k/XP will see the linux partitions, but will label them as an unkown filesystem. Just a heads up for anyone who's trying to install some other version of windows.

Guest nhaughton

That's what you get with an arrogant OS. Correct me if I'm wrong people please.

PMFBI' date=' but you're wrong. I have done this several times. The Windows installation expects partitioning to have been done beforehand and uses what it finds. Just reinstall Windows (I assume 9x) as normal - it will only see the FAT32 partitions. HTH

Neil Haughton[/quote']

Well, well, I didn't know that :) Thanks for the info I will bear that in mind for the future.

Just when you thought it was safe......it appears that what I have found may not work for every version/flavour/build of Windows. And there's me thinking that Windows had brought standardisation :P

Read my earlier post.

Some versions actually create a partition, others expect one.

I have multiple versions which Ive kept just for fixing windows PC's

Some version you can fool it by deleting the system files from C: and still install a clean version wheras others demand the sytem files and you can often bluff it by sticking the mbr back and doing a sys c: from a boot floppy.

There are 3.1->98 versions that won't upgrade 95 ... etc etc. etc.

I leanred never assume anything with a Windows install CD ...