stopping a kernel module from loading at boot

well since i reinstalled with the tv tuner attached the bttv module is being loaded every time i boot. i tried commenting the bttv in /etc/modules but something is re-inserting bttv in it/ here is how my modules file looks like right now (i have to admit i find this a little bit funny)

# /etc/modules: kernel modules to load at boot time.

#

# This file should contain the names of kernel modules that are

# to be loaded at boot time, one per line.  Comments begin with

# a `#', and everything on the line after them are ignored.

#bttv

#bttv

scsi_hostadapter

bttv

ciao!

that would be something in mandrake doing that for you...damn it, if I can only remember....do some searches, i know other people add issues with mandrake putting modules back in that they had commented out...

Annoying that.

I remember having it ages ago but I can't remember exactly what I did....or if it was a dirty fix or not. It wan't the bttv though.

(I think if you do a new make_dep it should rebuild. or edit out in the modules.dep )

A temporary one is to add a S99fixbttv in the rc.d pointing to a /etc/init.d/ughthisisugly script with a rmmod bttv. I guess you'd need it in rc3.d through rc5.d....

Not very elegant I'm afraid. It removes by bluez so i can use it under vmware for wap access...

If your search doesn't give you an answer you can always do this but its obviously really ugly. (thinking about it Im embarrassed to suggest it!)

Another quick thought is its depped by another module so it keeps being added back.

I don't even know what bttv is but in my ML9.1's /etc/devfsd.conf there's

REGISTER	^v4l/video0$	CFUNCTION GLOBAL mksymlink v4l/video0 video

UNREGISTER	^v4l/video0$	CFUNCTION GLOBAL unlink video

comment these out and add what you need (if you need) to /etc/modules and /etc/modules.conf of course :wink:

i found similar lines and commented them out. it did stop the bttv module from loading (bvc, look at the thread "i found an old tuner card" here in hardware for an idea what bttv is, my connection sucks and i cant search properly). but the downside is when i load it from a script that i made, i am only shown a green screen when i start xawtv. :(

ciao!

Ramfree17

The green screen is the default tuning etc.

When i start first time it automatically does the local tuning and scans channels.

I've had problems with a blue screen (the colour is set by software) in Xawetv but I used the kde app (wkwintv I think and it worked).

bttv is the generic driver to the booktree848 (and later) TV tuning chipset. This seems to be a standard, sorry, haven't seen your post yet for the details.

If you can't get channels, and I can't becuase its in a different room, a good way to test if its working is to conenct to the composite or svhs if it has one. Then you source in xawtv or similar to composite.

actually it works before and i already have a working .xawtvrc with all (at least all that matters) the channels. when i removed the settings it just turned green. if this is really the tuning part, how long should it last? will i encounter this everytime i load the bttv module manually? i didnt have this problem before i reinstalled. thanks!

ciao!