nVIDIA driver fails to load after update [solved]

ADDn00b

I've spent the last two days trying to find and execute an answer on my own...and have failed miserably. I thought I'd throw myself on the mercy of the community and hope for the best.

After an update two days ago, my nVidia driver failed to load. I have no 3D desktop, which doesn't seem like a big deal because I can still log in and somewhat use the system, but there are no window borders, no close, minimize, maximize buttons, and right-click functions open UNDER the current window (which cannot be moved). The windows open on top of the taskbar, so unless I can get the window closed via file->exit, I can't even access the shut-down button. Essentially, these issues make my system unusable, which is a bummer because I really enjoy Mandriva and don't want to go back to windoze. :wall:

I read about a known issue (bug #34141) within Mandriva 2008, but I didn't have backports enabled (one of the described issues) and the instructions from the known-issues wiki aren't too easy for a n00b to understand, ("as root, do this:"). I tried it though! Whatever I was supposed to do wasn't what I did, apparently, because it didn't work.

I also read through forums, including this one, looking for anyone who had an nVIDIA failure after the recent updates, and it seems I'm the only one. I'm considering starting all over, reinstalling the whole OS, but I just loaded more than 200 family pictures and I'm not sure I could get them backed up anywhere with the way the system is(n't) operating.

I dual-boot XP/Mandriva 2008, my card is a GeForce Go 7800 GTX, and the other specs of my system are in my profile if that makes any difference. I know you will probably have other questions that I haven't answered. I appreciate any and all help offered. Please remember I am a complete n00b and don't understand some of the terminology (despite reading the excellent glossary provided here), nor do I have a grasp on the inner workings of the OS.

Thanks much.

It's not the nvidia driver that got borked, it's compiz (fusion) which does not allow the kde window manager to load. As normal user, press alt+F2, or rather (since the above may not work), open a console as user, and then

kwin --replace

And, if it keeps going like that every time you log in, add to your ~.bashrc configuration file a line

export KDEWM="kwin"

Now kwin will be loaded the next time you log into KDE.

Edited by scarecrow

Scarecrow, thanks very much. I hope I understood you correctly. Is a console the same as a terminal window? If so, that's what I opened and input the text you suggested. It said "command not found". Also, I use (or have used) GNOME. Who knows what's loading now. :unsure:

The second part of your response I did not understand. What is a ~.bashrc configuration file and how do I get to it?...then again, considering how screwed up it is so far, maybe I shouldn't get to it.

Thanks again.

Edited by ADDn00b

First, yes, console/terminal/xterm are effectively the same thing.

Second, since you're using Gnome, the command should be a tad different:

metacity --replace

As for ~.bashrc things aren't complicated:

~ is your user's home directory

. (dot) means that the file is hidden.

Still, you can easily edit it by many means- say

gedit ~.bashrc

But if using Gnome, better instead of editing that file is adding

metacity --replace

at the Gnome startup applications

System -> Preferences -> Sessions -> Startup Programs

Thank you scarecrow. That helps a lot. I now have close, minimize, and maximize, and my desktop switcher is back. That helps tremendously.

Will I have to use that command every time I log on? I think I added it correctly via the sessions manager.

I still don't have 3D desktop and the usual nVIDIA splash screen I'm used to seeing at boot isn't there, either.

But at least it is more functional now. And thank you for the explanation of the terminal/console thingy. :)

It sounds like you did get affected by the bug you were talking about. You don't *have* to have backports repositories enabled, that's why it was such an annoying bug...

Can you run this command:

rpm -qa | grep nvidia

and paste the output here? I'll probably know what to do then.

Hi Adam, and thank you for your response. Here is the output:

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-laptop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-desktop-2mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

x11-driver-video-nvidia-current-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-laptop-latest-100.14.19-1.20080506.1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.19-laptop-2mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.18-desktop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-desktop-latest-100.14.19-1.20080506.1mdv2008.0

dkms-nvidia-current-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.19-desktop-2mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-laptop-2mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

nvidia-current-kernel-2.6.22.9-desktop-1mdv-100.14.19-1mdv2008.0

I starting to wonder if I shouldn't just update to Spring (I understand the bug was addressed in that version) and save myself more aggravation. :huh:

yeah, you don't have the backports bug, you have something else. You can upgrade to Spring, by all means. Or it should still be fixable. I forget to check one important thing, what kernel you're running - can you run:

uname -r

and paste the result? Thanks.

Hi Adam (and medo3891), and thank you for responding.

Downloading Spring right now. I'll be sure and post the kernel when I'm done. I'd really like to learn what went wrong before I update.

Again, many thanks.

Spring is working great so far, Adam. However, my ISP kicked me off-line for awhile because it took me so many tries to download it. ;)

If I have the same issue with the card again, I'll be back!

Thanks for all your help.