Recommended tutorials for Cd-RW setup???

Guest JaseP

Guest JaseP

I have a 3rd party CD burner in my new system. I desperately want to be able to use it for back-up purposes and maybe even to burn Music CDs so I can keep the originals safely away.

I noticed the tutorial on command line CD burning, and haven't gotten to reading it through yet. I've tried to use xCDroast and gcombust, but I'm pulling out hair rather than making progress. The programs seem to work, but I think I'm having trouble with the way the drive is recognized or set up.

I was wondering if anyone knew of a tutorial regarding getting the drive set-up (i.e: proper permissions, proper apps installed, troubleshooting problems). The drive is recognized, but I keep getting errors on burn attempts. On the last try, both TAO and DAO failed to work properly. I'm nit sure what the problem is.

So far, I've managed to produce 3 shiny coasters on my Linux box. It's aggravating since it's so damn easy in Windoze XPee, and I like Linux better. Besides, I want to be able to use the drive to back-up my Linux installation in case my system blows up (quite literally) like my last one.

My drive is a Benq 52x24x52x CD-RW drive. I don't know where this drive falls in terms of compatibility, but I'm sure that it isn't really manufactured by this Benq company. It's probably made by a standard company and this Benq slapps their name on it.

Any help is appreciated.

Guest JaseP

Isn't k3B just an interface for the command line apps???

I found the following on Benq's website, and I'm wondering if I have a device conflict in my system, because sometimes my CD-burner shows up twice in these programs:

Q20. Is it possible to use my CD-RW drive under Linux?

Solution: Linux is not one single O.S.; there are many different kinds, for example, RedHat, Linux-Mandrake and so on.  

If you want to make your CD-RW drive work on a Linux platform, please contact with the Linux O.S. company to get technical support. BTW, there are two key points to making the re-writer drive work on a Linux O.S.  

First, O.S. must detect the drive and confirm that it is a re-writer drive.

Second, you must find one Linux writing software can work on your own Linux O.S. and can detect the CD-RW drive.  

The following is one sample for Linux O.S. we ever test and confirm O.K.

Linux OS distribution : RedHat Linux 6.0

Kernel Version: 2.2.2.5

Burning Software :  

xcdroast (http://www.xcdroast.org),

gnometoaster (http://gnometoaster.home.pages.de)

CDrecord (http://www.fokus.gmd.de/research/cd/employees/joerg.schilling/private/cdrecord.html)

Testing drive : 6206A, 4432A, 6432A, 8432A

Testing platform : Celeron 366MHz, 64MB SDRAM, 1.7G HD, Acer M/B  

On the above conditions, our drive works fine on the Linux box. But please be aware of the following if you want to use these drives in a Linux box.  

Kernel version must be higher than 2.0.35 which support ATAPI SCSI emulation.

Recompile your kernel :

Step1. Disable " IDE/ATAPI CD-ROM support " and enable " SCSI Emulation " in " Floppy, IDE and other block devices " item.

Step 2. Enable " SCSI hard disk support ", " SCSI CD-ROM support " in " SCSI support " item, even you don't have SCSI card or SCSI devices.

Step 3. Please don't compile above as modules, just make it as direct support.

Step 4. Compile this kernel and boot from it, if you found system detect your re-writer as SCSI CD-ROM, then you can use it as a SCSI CDR and burn with software.

Could it be that I don't have SCSI emulation configured correctly???

How would I know, and how would I fix it without breaking my links to my /mnt/cdrom device for things like access to the drive from the desktop (konqueror, etc) and within WineX??? the last thing I need is to fix my CD burner problem only to have a WineX problem or a problem accessing my CD device from the desktop...

Check on my site and compare lilo.conf

www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/sysspec.html

also have a look at my config page, where I describe the setup for direct cd-rom to cd-rw copying, you will get more info and hints there.

/var/log/dmesg will tell you how your drives are linked into your system by the kernel at boot.

Also

cdrecord -scanbus

will tell you if it recognizes any drives.

Here's my relevent lines in /etc/fstab (note that I don't use supermount):

/dev/scd0 /mnt/cdrom auto user,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

/dev/scd1 /mnt/cdrom2 auto user,umask=0,exec,codepage=850,ro,noauto 0 0

/mnt/cdrom is actually a regular DVD drive, but I use scsi emulation with it, so XCDroast will use it to record from. I also have this in my append line:

hdc=ide-scsi hdd=ide-scsi

Guest JaseP

My results from cdrecord -scanbus:

Cdrecord 1.11a15 (i586-mandrake-linux-gnu) Copyright © 1995-2001 Jörg Schilling

Linux sg driver version: 3.1.22

Using libscg version 'schily-0.5'

scsibus0:

0,0,0     0) 'ATAPI   ' 'CD-RW 52X24     ' 'K.LC' Removable CD-ROM

0,1,0     1) *

0,2,0     2) *

0,3,0     3) *

0,4,0     4) *

0,5,0     5) *

0,6,0     6) *

0,7,0     7) *

My fstab entry has the drive recognized with scsi emulation. I use automount.

Where do I look at and edit the append line???

• 3 months later...