Anyone use SBC Yahoo DSL with MDK?

shen

I am considering getting the local SBC Yahoo dsl but I am worried if it will work with Linux. I do have a Linksys Cable/DSL modem router that can handle PPOE. I guess mainly I am curious how the setup works and if anyone has successfully gotten it to work with MDK 9.1.

I did a search of the forums but didn't really find what I am looking for...GOnna try google aswell...Anyways any input or info would be greatly appreciated.

I was told by my dsl provider, verizon, that linux would not work.!!!! The services departments of net providers do not hire knowledgable people. They only have to know how to read a flow chart and quote what is on the screen. There is no reason why linux won't work with any dsl hook up.

One thing I am curious about is the ppoe.... After initial setup you should be able to plug that login into the dsl router and let it handle the login aspect therefore not needing any special software for the pc. I am actually hoping to find someone who has SBC Yahoo dsl setup using a dsl modem router for the authentication process...If that's the case then no added software setup would be needed.

Well.. any reasonable pppoe based dsl service should work no matter what the provider is. I used to use SBC dsl (back before the deal with yahoo) and it's easy enough to connect with mandrake. Of course, if you have a router, it will be easier, but it's not worth to buy a router just for the convenience. (Now if you want to share your dsl with other computers, it becomes worth it :) )

So you have it working with a DSL Router? Doe sit slow down the boot time of MDK at all...All you did was plug the login and password into the routers config and didn't have to install any software into MDK?

Again thanks for all the input it's greatly appreciated..

So you have it working with a DSL Router? Doe sit slow down the boot time of MDK at all...All you did was plug the login and password into the routers config and didn't have to install any software into MDK?

Yes, that's exactly how it works. :) All you have to do to the router is set the connection type to PPPoE, enter your login name and your password. Absolutely no software has to be installed in Mandrake. :)

*That is all there is to it. :)

*I put an asterik next to that statement because you may have to run a firmware upgrade on your router to make it work with your internet provider. In my case I had to do this because the router firmware had to be above a certain release level to talk to SBC's network. I found that information on the Linksys tech support page.

Note! There will be a huge slowdown at Mandrake bootup time if you have it set to get an IP automatically but there is no DHCP server on your network. You'll see the bootup hang at eth0 for a bit if this is the case. Otherwise it boots fine.

So just set Mandrake's TCP/IP for however you have your router set up. Currently I am using my router's DHCP but I am going to assign the IP's myself sooner or later. I just did it that way because I have two Windows boxes on my network and I haven't felt like getting out the CD and rebooting the damn things to change the TCP/IP settings. :) So, literally all I did at Mdk installation was told it to get an IP automatically and my Mdk box was on the 'net. :)

I have a Linksys 4 port Cable/DSL router. I bought it when I got my DSL service from SBC about a year and a half ago. It has worked prefect since the day I installed it. :)

Cool sounds good enough...That's how I figured it would be but before I jumped head first I wanted to make sure there was nothing else I had to do. Thanks for all the info everyone. SOunds like I should have an easy change over.

I have SBC-Yahoo DSL, and it works just fine.  All you have to do is provide the username and password, and it will work just fine.

We switched from Comcast to SBC DSL using a Linksys DSL/Cable router. Seamless access by Mac OS9.1, Win98, Win XP and Mandrake 9.1.

The router is the connection point that handles all the access as noted by others...if it doesn't work check your spelling...my wife typed "scb..." instead of "sbc..." in the router settings...that was the only snag...

Comcast just became our cable provider. They are the fourth company to own the cable system in this area since I bought my house 12 years ago. Continental > MediaOne > AT&T > Comcast. :roll: :lol:

We got a letter from Comcast last week saying that broadband internet will be available soon. It's about time!!!

But I doubt I will switch. SBC's DSL service has been perfect and at $29.95/month I am not planning on going anywhere. 8)

If you have SBC call them up and tell them you want a re-write. When I learned that little tip my DSL service went from $49.95 to $29.95. 8)

Comcast just became our cable provider. They are the fourth company to own the cable system in this area since I bought my house 12 years ago. Continental > MediaOne > AT&T > Comcast. :roll:  :lol

We would still be with Comcast except:

1.) They said the rate would not change, we called, they had no clue about the switch over

2.) They has us down as paying $42.95/mo instead of $49.95/mo

3.) They raised the rate to $60+/mo

4.) When we cancelled because of the rate increase, the said "But it's only $6/mo"

5.) No we are payin 49.95/mo a raise to $60+/mo is $11+/mo the way we count.

6.) "Oh"

7.) "Well, we'll give you 3 months at $29.95/mo"

8.) No

9.) "Well if you get cable TV it will be less..." (must be fuzzy logic...we watch a max of 2hr of TV/week)

10) Hello SBC DSL