DMA gets disabled by itself

DOlson

Output from dmesg:

hda: dma_intr: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

hda: status timeout: status=0xd0 { Busy }

hda: DMA disabled

hda: drive not ready for command

hdb: set_drive_speed_status: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }

ide0: Drive 1 didn't accept speed setting. Oh, well.

ide0: reset: success

Why is it doing that? Perhaps it's some weird thing with this kernel? I'm using the 2.4.20 version with the ck7 patch...

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm not sure, but thought it's something with the 4.20-kernel....but I'm not sure...I noticed iut also, but hparm tells it's enabled, while when I start up in text-mode in clearly says...DMA disabled....I searched alittle bit and thought soemthing mentioning this.....but I can be wrong

Okay, here's a bit more clarification.

I start my computer, and log in. I run hdparm /dev/hda and it says dma is enabled.

I start X and Gnome, then I open a terminal and run hdparm /dev/hda, and it's now disabled. If I run dmesg, I get the messages I pasted above.

I don't get it.

I'm going to try a standard kernel. None of this ck7 crap. See if that helps. I'll post my results.

Guest JaseP

What motherboard chipset do you have???

My guess is that the chipset is not fully supported and that DMA only is working on those devices that DMA is specifically coded to work for in their module drivers. However, I could be wrong.

:shock: weird.....would the -k or -K option help? I don't know :unsure:

Nope.

What motherboard chipset do you have???

My guess is that the chipset is not fully supported and that DMA only is working on those devices that DMA is specifically coded to work for in their module drivers. However, I could be wrong.

EPoX 8KTA3L+. It uses the Via KT133A chipset, which I had thought was supported just fine, as it never started doing this until I switched to Gnome and the ck7 kernel patch. I doubt it's Gnome... I'll try a standard 2.4.20 kernel tomorrow and post the results.

Guest JaseP

The KT133A shouldn't cause a problem. Look to other changes you might have made. Did you increase your AGP speed for example??? One particular device is causing it to fail or default back to some kind of failsafe.

Okay, I'm using the 2.4.21-rc7 kernel now, with no patches, and it seems to be doing okay. I'll post again if the problem returns.