Wine registry update (for program installs)

Guest SDMF

Guest SDMF

I have taken a few stabs at installing programs under Wine. I know that installs which create registry keys force you to run a couple different scripts to update Wine's registry file. But, every time I have tried doing it using the docs, I can never seem to get it to work. Programs may run, but not for long because a debug window will appear. This only happens with programs that alter the registry. Does anyone know of a web walkthrough that demystifies this process, or can explain it in an easier-to-understand manner?

• 2 weeks later...

sadly, I think this is different for every program. For me, I haven't had to deal with it as there are only one or two programs that I care to use wine for and they work without monkeying with anything. Sorry I couldn't be more help. Maybe more people would help if you gave some specifics. What prgram? what's the debug window say?

the only programs i have used with wine are hl dod and jedi knight outcast (outcast runs flawlessly and fast but its a quake3 game so it should).

I haven't had trouble getting those games to play so i can't help you as i know stuff all about wine.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest GorGor

SDMF

I know nothing about wine, but did read the wine/documentation/registry

which mentions that you can install the windows registry cleaner called

regclean.exe

which I have used when I ran w98se. Its a good program.

(2) from same doc

4.3.3. Wine registry data files In the user's home directory, there is a subdirectory named .wine, where Wine will try to save its registry by default. It saves into four files, which are:

system.reg This file contains HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE.

user.reg This file contains HKEY_CURRENT_USER.

userdef.reg This file contains HKEY_USERS.Default (i.e. the default user settings).

wine.userreg Wine saves HKEY_USERS to this file (both current and default user), but does not load from it, unless userdef.reg is missing.

All of these files are human-readable text files, so unlike Windows, you can actually use an ordinary text editor on them if you want (make sure you don't have Wine running when modifying them, otherwise your changes will be discarded)

(3) win registry was always a mess as it failed to track all the changes us mere mortals make. so if possible, minimise the experiements.

Or use partimage ? heh heh

• 3 weeks later...