Changing the refresh rates.

tvlad

I have a Gf4 ti 4200 with 128mb and an Aoc 7GLR, which can work at 1600x1200 @ 75.

Before i had the nvidia drivers installed, i had 60HZ, which was really ****ing my eyes.After installing the driver i now have 85HZ at 1024x768.

BUT my monitor can work at 1024x768 @ 100 HZ :!: .How can i manually change the refresh rate for this resolution, or how can i change the refresh rate of a given resolution at a given color depth (i'm talkin about standard resolutions and color depths, nothin exotic).

You will NOT getting around adding a "modeline" for your choosen resolution.

Try a google for "modeline calculator" and find out the responding modeline for your resolution/refresh-rate combination or use one of the examples:

eg 1:

-------------------------------------------------

# 1024x768 @ 100Hz, 81.00 kHz hsync

Mode "1024x768"

DotClock 110.16

HTimings 1024 1056 1168 1360

VTimings 768 772 776 810

EndMode

eg 2:

-------------------------------------------------

That above is EXACT THE SAME AS:

Modeline "1024x768" 110.16

Paste one of that examples in your "/etc/X11/XFreeconfig-4" file, right under the modelines, you will find there.

Voilà.

If you start X then and the picture has moved somewhere, you will not get around changing the pasted modeline via xvidtune, but it's VERY easy...

Click on the auto button to see the result of your changings immediately.

After using the sizing and moving buttons, you'll just have to modify the modeline.

You see 1 vertical.

xvid-example.gif

# 1024x768 @ 100Hz, 81.00 kHz hsync

Mode "1024x768"

DotClock 110.16

HTimings 1024 1056 1168 1360

VTimings 768 772 776 810

EndMode

If i used this i'd get 99.8 or 99.9 Hz.

When i tried this one i got exactly 100 Hz

# V-freq: 100.00 Hz // h-freq: 81.70 KHz

Modeline "1024x768" 124.84 1024 1088 1240 1528 768 768 771 817

The first i got it from: http://zaph.com/Modeline/Calculate.py?sec=232495

and the second from : http://www.dkfz-heidelberg.de/spec/linux/m...e/modeline2.cgi

Now, i want to ask u smth.My monitor keeps the screen adjustements for each resolution, but when i inserted either of those two lines, i had to adjust the image again, which means that the setting aren't exactly the same as those in windows.

With the second line i got 100 Hz, but the horizontal refresh was 81.7, while in windows it was 81.2, the differences are too small to matter, right ?

:wink:

No, they are not.

You know what multisync means?

The monitor tries to fit the parameters the graca gives him.

You've got blank areas at the borders of a visible area, this areas are not drawn by the ray, but they are moved over by the "black" ray.

If this areas gets bigger, the monitor tries again to fit the visible size in your screen.

So you can have several times the same resolution with the same refresh rate, but the not visible borders are different.

So windoz uses another setting of "borders" for the same resolution , that's why the monitor doesn't remember, because he certainly didn't see the knew way you're doing your resolution untill you tried it the first time...

Perhaps there's a way to find out the parameters in windoz with another app, then you can take exactly the same in linux and voilà, you've got it.

But i think it's not worth the effort.

I dodn't want to bluff you with the multisync explanation, can't know you're knowledge.

I can't see an open question. Could you ask clearly?

What is it now? Which line to choose? Or achieving the same settings as in windoz?

You could take every line, you want, take that, that smells better :D

It's no matter if you've got 100Hz or 98Hz, you're eyes are "optimized" for 75-90Hz.

Take one, finetune it so, that you don't have to touch the monitorwheels when you're switching to X.

Perhaps you'll find other answers in another thread of me.