Patching Mdk 9.1 - safe or not?

Guest stodge

Guest stodge

I've been experiencing a few weird problems today, so I was considering patching Mandrake online. How safe is this? I mean, if I patch it what are the chances that something will break? Has anyone gone this route?

Thanks

By patching, do you mean upgrading the packages?? Or are you talking about patching the kernel? :?:

I would upgrade certain packages first, like anything dealing with urpmi or Mandrake tools, and then the rest, or at least anything that you are using. I upgraded the upgrade manager :lol:, and then used it with no problems. I did the initial upgrades manually using urpmi.

Hope this helps.

Guest stodge
by patching do you mean getting the updates through mandrake update?  if so, it's pretty safe...in fact the updates for 9.1 fix a lot of issues.

Yes I mean using Mandrake Update. (It is free right?)

Guest stodge
I would update the update manager manually using urpmi and then proceed.

Are there known issues with the updater that I can read about somewhere or that will provide instructions on which packages to grab to update the updater (:shock:) ?

Thanks

I just scanned the list at Mandrake's sight, and did not see a specific mention of the update tool. I may be thinking of a previous release. :oops:

But I know that there are urpmi bugs. So, using the update gui, select your mirors, and check out the list. I would still fix Mandrake tools and urpmi first.

Nice thing about Mdk update is that you can click Max Info on the GUI window, and then before installing each package you can read about it and choose whether you want to install it. It has most of the details about the "multiple bug fixes" except for minor things that they don't bother to explain.

I would highly recommend using the update on a regular basis. Subscribe to the email updates from the security group at www.mandrakesecure.net to get an email annoucing the security updates, or watch for the update security announcements that are mirrored here on this board. (Aru, thanks for that!)

The key to using Mdk Update is to learn to use it when you have a good connection and if it doesn't go thru, try switching to another mirror. Also you can look at the various mirrors and see which ones are up to date.

Good! Glad it worked for you. The latest patches seem to really have improved the urpmi and update tools! They are much more stable than the original 9.1 versions. :)

You can also learn more about the updates via the security announcements. They have a "reference" that gives a URL for each update that connects it to a developer's website or some security website that will help you see the details for the particular update.

Guest stodge

Wow these forums are so busy I can't keep up with the posts!

I think I'll keep an eye on the update list, although it isn't vital I do that as my machine is behind a firewall so I at least have some protection. ;)

Notice several packages that "fix multiple bugs". It would be nice if they listed details to those.

At the Mandrake Secure page, The Advisory Number to the right of the Date of each update is a link to detailed information .