gentoo & reiserfs

ok, so i decided to rebuild my gentoo system, and this time around i decided to use reiserfs for most my partitions (accept /boot and /home-stuck with ext3 for /boot and didn't want to format /home (lose of data) so it's still ext3). anyways, i go through the installation as usual, no problemo. built reisferfs support into the kernel (as well as ext3) and even installed the reiserfsprogs. go to boot the system up after install.

eeeerrrrrrccchhh

error, can't find init. ok, look further up the messages, devfs couldn't be mounted (yes, it's in the kernel and mount on boot), ok, look further up

root is being mounted read-only, and it seems to think it's an ext3 filesystem...wah wah whaaat? so here's what i'm looking for, i know some of you gentoo peeps are using reiserfs, is there anything (aside from putting reiserfs support into the kernel and installing the reiserfsprogs) that needs to be done for it to work?

this is from memory, but the fstab line for my root partition looks like this:

/dev/hda3      /      reiserfs     noatime   0 0

(obviously some spacing missing, but whatever, you get the idea.) for some reason i think it has to do with the noatime option, but i could be wrong. i've also tried 0 1 instead of 0 0 but honestly i have no idea what these two numbers do.

i searched the gentoo forums already to no avail, but i'm gonna try again.....

in the meantime, any ideas? tips? etc?

I built my system with no boot partition, and all reiserfs. Your fstab entry is identical to mine, including the "0 0" at the end. One of the compile attempts told me that I needed devfs support in the kernel (one of the five times I compiled the kernel) I have no trouble with reiserfs. Maybe it's something else going wrong??

yeah i think it's something else. but, i'm going to start this whole deal over again because i'm going to change to only using the one hard drive in this system. maybe i'll go without a boot partition...just a /, /usr and /home.

Hmmm... I'm pretty sure the only steps I did were:

1) Format the drive to reiserfs (duh!)

2) Enable reiserfs in the kernel

3) Marking it as reiserfs in /etc/fstab

All I did was follow the install instructions to the letter. My /etc/fstab for /dev/hda3 is exactly the same as yours

Sorry, I realise this probably isn't that helpful - but at least you know there isn't some magical step you didn't do

I guess at some point I installed reiserfsprogs, since it is installed - but I don't remember when I did that

I don't know anything about gentoo, but the same thing happened to me once on ML9.0 when I forgot to mkinitrd.

never had to mkinitrd before, but i will try it when i get home.

i know, with my previous install(s) of gentoo this was never necessary. however, i'll try it and see if it fixes the problem. then atleast i'll know for future reference, and so will anyone else who might run into this problem.

I think I know what I did. I think I added some options into the kernel which would require me to have an initrd.img, which I don't. These were options that I compiled after the original install on my last build, specifically so I could have the framebuffer options to give me a background on vt1 and during bootup. which, yes, requires an initrd.img.

well, if it wasn't for this discussion i never would have figured that out even thought i should have. bvc's comment reminded me of when i added an init= line to my lilo.conf so that i would have the mentioned options.

:banghead:

Guest fubar::chi
I remember reading somewhere that you don't have to mkinitrd in gentoo - can't remeber why or where I read it - hang on...
well you don't have to but if you compile in options which require it (like framebuffer) then you'll get that error. happened to me plenty o' times.

::edit::

i really should read all the postts before posting shouldn't i?