[Samba] How to make a windows share writable?

fuzzylizard

I have setup a windows share using the MCC -> Mount Points -> Samba tool. This seems to have worked great, I have a little icon for it on the desktop and I can browse and copy from it no problem.

However, I can't write to it. Anyway of making the share writable?

On the windows side, it is an NTFS partition on a windows 2000 box with permissions set so that everyone can do anything to it. (Don't worry, it exists behind a firewall)

As for Linux, here is the entry in fstab:

//gandalf/Shared /mnt/Shared smbfs user,credentials=/etc/samba/auth.gandalf.chris 0 0

I am not sure why it is not writable.

I don't know if this pertains to shares also, but I know Linux doesn't like writing to NTFS partitions. Of course, since this is a share, it -may- not apply...just a thought.

If you have webmin installed, open it up and check out the Samba section. All the options are presented quite nicely and you can get the whole picture on one page. Maybe something will popup there that we haven't thought of yet....

The NTFS thingy shouldn't be a problem if it is shared correctly.

Also, try unmounting it again and then using:

# mount -t smbfs -o username=username,password=password //host/share /target

And seeing if you can then write, might give you some idea as to how to tackle the fstab entry.

I went into webmin and mounted the share declaring the username and password explicity and now I can write to it. However, I have lost the nice little icon I had on the desktop showing the share.

I think the problem may be that somehow the two identities are slightly different between the two computers and that is making the difference. Although to me they look identical. I don't know.

Thanks for the help though.

No problem :wink:

You should be able to manually recreate the icon on your desktop. Just as a matter of interest: I finally got back to my box last night and discovered that you can write to the M$ share without explicitly declaring username and password, but only as root.

Never underestimate the level of Linux security :plan:

• 2 weeks later...

Make sure that you have a couple of key elements in your smb.conf

like "create mode"

This is what could cause a share to work or not work with my experience.!!

[Share Name]

comment = Shared directory

path = /home/shared

read only = yes

writeable = yes

printable = no

inherit permissions = yes

create mode = 0666

But now that i look more closely I see that the problem is on your windows box... DOH.!! My mistake.!!

The fact that it is an NTFS partition doesn't matter because the windows box handles the writing to the NTFS partition... Your linux box just tells doze what to write..!!

I Have also found that when I mount drives manually they work much better that when i have used a silly tool of some sort.. Thats just personal experience

I decided not to start a new thread because this is directly related: Why wouldn't I be able to write to the linux share from windows? The perms on the /mnt/share in linux are good... Is it a setting on the win box? (They were both reading fine but not writing - I think this will help me write to the win... but the other way?)

How are you logging into / accessing the share from windows? Are the user and group ids the same as the login you are using from windows, specifically the owner one?

Also, how do you have samba setup to handle the share - i.e. do you have readonly set to no?

How are you logging into / accessing the share from windows? Are the user and group ids the same as the login you are using from windows, specifically the owner one?

Also, how do you have samba setup to handle the share - i.e. do you have readonly set to no?

For the samba setup readonly is no, but I'll have to check about your first point, thanks.