Ixthusdan's gentoo questions

Nvidia will not emege beacuse it says I need to compile mtrr's into the kernel. So, I did that. It didn't work, and so I checked everything in that section and recompiled again. Still no go. What am I missing?

you should see MTRR messages when you boot. are you?

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am seeing messages, but I did as tyme said and used the nvidia install program, which worked fine. But, I had sound and lost it. (??) That's really odd. Alsa is there and emu10k1 is loaded, so another mystery.

Gentoo is faster, even in kde.

Sound is fine. That little thingy on top of my right speaker.......power switch. :oops:

Gentoo is humming!!

For general information, on a kt400 chipset mb, with pc2700 ddr and an 1800+ athlon, Open Office has been compiling for 13+ hours. :shock: (!!!!!!!!!)

Gentoo is smooth and fast, but installation of programs is not. Kde and konquerer actually are enjoyable, with none of the "windows" sluggishness.

I shouldn't say all programs are installing slow. Midnight Commander and aumix were quick. k3b was not bad, considering it installed 11 packages. Open Office was only three, but the last package is a real compile hog.

OO took longer than i care to remember on my machine (specs in sig). I think it ran for something like a day and a half to two days....or atleast 24 hours. When I compile it again (if i do, might try some other options) i'll post a time estimate too, just for comparison purposes.

the first time I did OO it took me a lifetime, but subsequent upgrades (like from 1.0.2 to 1.03) seem to happen a lot quicker, or maybe I'm getting used to the painful compiling of OO :roll:

I am finally trying to get my palm syncing in gentoo, but I am having trouble getting it work. Anybody using usb with a palm in gentoo??

Yes, I compiled it with usb and usb 2.0 support. Is that what you mean?

partially...see if this page provides any help: http://www.linuxpda.com/visor/howto/curren...ent/kernel.html (i know it says it's for handspring visors, but there's not really a difference in how they sync i don't think)

here's some search results from forums.gentoo.org (used "hotsync"):

http://forums.gentoo.org/search.php?mode=r...02fcd533daca654

hope some of that helps.

Thanks for the info. Looks like I'm compiling AGAIN. I might actually get it right this time! :wink:

This is all with jpilot.

Well, it seems that setting up usb is a problem. Following all scenerios that I found at various places, nothing worked!! I don't have any other usb device to test, but I do know that in /dev/usb/tts/, 0 and 1 show up when the palm attempt to sync. So, devfs and the palm are working. But, it won't sync. When I launch from a console, it says permission denied and pi_bind illegal seek. I gave my self permission to access the usb folder, but what else should I do? Any ideas?

Well, I'm gentoo free.

But as linux is still linux, maybe this might help you. This is what I did when a friend of mine loan me (to me?) his usb-cdrw for a few days. This stuff worked in my slackware:

#! /bin/sh

# Script prototipe to mount an usb cdrw

# feb 2003

# usb modules

echo "Loading usb modules"

/sbin/modprobe usb-uhci

## /sbin/modprobe hid (not needed)

/sbin/modprobe usb-storage

# cdrw modules

echo "Loading burner modules"

## modprobe sr_mod (not needed)

modprobe ide-scsi