Email 'read' notification in Thunderbird

Rowan

I would like to know if Thunderbird has the facility to send me a return message to tell me that a particular email has been opened and read by the reciever. I have been sending emails to a person who says that they have not been getting them but I am beginning to doubt them a little. If the 'email read' return option is available I would like to use it - if only for my own piece if mind.

Is anyone able to tell if it is an option and how to activate it.

Cheers

PS. I am using Thunderbird 1.5.0.7

Thanks Reiver.

I have found 'return receipt' in the options menu jast as you said so I will assume that that is what you were talking about. I also assume that the receiving party has no control over this return receipt - they can't block it or cancel it etc and it is sent back to me without their knowledge.

This seems to be just what I was looking for.

Cheers

Be aware that those receipts can be disabled. I always disable all kinds of receipts in my email, for two reasons:

- Many people turn automatic receipts on, with the effect that I am expected to send the receipts back even for the most insignificant emails.

- Those stupid email softwares (with NO exception that I'm aware of) ask that I confirm that I have read the emails BEFORE I actually read them, whereas often I just skim over it rapidly, or even skip it (because I'm using the up/down arrows).

Yves.

Be aware that those receipts can be disabled. I always disable all kinds of receipts in my email, for two reasons:

- Many people turn automatic receipts on, with the effect that I am expected to send the receipts back even for the most insignificant emails.

and because might help spammers to find whether the email address is active.

So, if I understand correctly, the receiving party gets the choice of whether to send the receipt back. This is not what I wanted to hear. I was hoping that it would be sent back to me without their knowledge.

Oh well I will just have to try a different way. Thanks anyway.

IIRC MS Outlook gives (or at least gave in some old version) the option to get a receipt from the server that the message has been delivered to the recipient's server. This the user had no say, but I guess the server can be configured not to send such replies.

This in addition to the return receipt from the recipient. And I don't know if this is a feature in TB.