Soundcard+Mandrake = Pain ?

Guest supated

Guest supated

Hey all,

I've recently installed Mandrake and I'm lovin' it. Everything's going fairly smoothe and I'm making the transition from windows well, however for the life of me, I cant figure out my sound card.

I'm getting some serious errors with sound, for instance when the system tries to play a soundfile, it will just sort get in an infinite loop playing only a small segment of the sound file.. sorta sounds like a really bad techno song.

I have onboard sound using the Realtek ALC650 chipset. (Check http://www.msi.com.tw/program/products/mai...5&MODEL=MS-6712

for more info about my mobo.)

Mandrake automatically configured my soundcard and these sound issues were happening so I found this: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...8&Software=True and tried to install the drivers from there, tho I didnt know what i was really doing (editing the modules.conf file), so I'm not sure if i've installed them right. Anyway, still having the same errors after I did.

Any help on resolving this would be greatly appreciated :)

Guest supated

mtweidmann: Yeah, I have, you mean the one that lets you pick a diff driver? It initially autodetected and installed the "snd-via82xx" (which didn't work) so I chose "via82cxxx_audio" which also didn't work.

ALC 650 is basically just a codec chip, not a sound chip by itself.

Anyway, since I also have an ALC 650 (even though my soundcard is nvidia soundstorm), it uses the driver snd-intel8x0 (for alsa) or i810_audio (for OSS). Try either one of those.

Guest supated

Well, i've tried installing the snd-intel8x0 driver, and all i'm getting now is a message on startup saying:

Sound server informal message:

Error while initializing the sound driver:

device: defauly can't be opened for playback (No such device)

The sound server will continue: using the null output device.

Then when i start using the system there is absolutely NO sound at all. No errors or anything.

Still, I'm not even sure if I'm installing these drivers correctly, a little bit of a guide wouldn't go astray :)

Googling your particular motherboard, it seems that you are not alone in having problem with sound. Yeah, it seems weird that alc650 is used for this particular board since the motherboard definitely use via VT8235 to generate sound. The driver you found from the realtek page is basically ALSA version .92. Mandrake 9.1 uses older version of ALSA (.90rc8).

Anyway.. it seems that snd-intel8x0 won't work with your board even though it uses alc650. It seems that alc650 is not even detected (or used) so I guess it's back to snd-via82xx

Anyway, you said that it works using snd-via82xx, just the problem is repeating a section of a sound over and over again. What program do you use when listening to that sound? Maybe it's not driver error, but more like application error.

Of course, if you are daring and have a few hours to kill.. you can download the newest version of ALSA from http://www.alsa-project.org and compile the driver yourself. Who knows.. maybe it will work..

Anyway, please reply to this message about your decision.. There are many people in this board who will help your compiling ALSA driver, many of them are more knowledgable than me :)

Guest supated
Anyway, you said that it works using snd-via82xx, just the problem is repeating a section of a sound over and over again. What program do you use when listening to that sound? Maybe it's not driver error, but more like application error.

I dont think so man, infact, anything i run that has any sort of sound in it has this issue, HOWEVER one program XMMS did work, it seemed to play MP3's fine under Gnome, not sure about KDE as I didnt try in it. However once the mp3 had finished it would just loop the same tiny end-section of the mp3 file over and over like with everything else.

Also i've noticed TuxRacer runs insanely slow with the same sound issues, perhaps my video drivers have something to do with it ?

Of course, if you are daring and have a few hours to kill.. you can download the newest version of ALSA from http://www.alsa-project.org and compile the driver yourself.

I downloaded the alsa drivers from here: http://www.realtek.com.tw/downloads/downlo...8&Software=True and complied them, etc. They were the 0.92 build (current is 0.93c) but that didnt seem to work so eh, not sure if the new ones will either might try them later, but dont particularily feel like spending the time compiling them again.

Anyways, thanks so far.

I had a similar issue with the onboard sound on an ECS KS57A. :cry:

I changed the drivers in MCC and it didn't help after a reboot. :angry:

I reloaded MDK9.1 with a full wipe of the / partition :banghead:

I ended up breaking down and getting an SBLive. :wub:

I have no sound issues now. but I do have sound :headbang: