Finding Module Dependencies

WmCook

First experince with Linux not going well. Built first computer, loaded Xp then Linux 9.1 from discs. Goes well until restart then hangs at "Finding Module Dependencies" Any help GREATLY appreciated.

AMD 2500+

EPOX EP-8RDA+

Mitsumi CDR

ASUS V7100PRO64Pure64MB Video

WD HD 80GB 7200RPM 8MB WD800JB

Logitech Keyboard and Mouse

I don't really understand this question. From what I read, it seems that you boot to XP, then put mandrake 9.1 disks in there and install it from there? What happen if you try to boot up from the 9.1 disks directly?

Sorry, I don't boot from XP. I first INSTALLED xp on my hard drive. Next I INSTALLED Mandrake 9.1. After installing for the 1st time and rebooting as the final part of the intallation procedure it hangs at "Finding Module Dependencies"

Did you set your bios to non plug and play? I have an Epox home built, and there are no problems. Also, what if any peripherals are you using?

Success with the "Finding Module Dependencies" problem after disabling the Plug n Play, However, after a few more seconds of activity, the screen goes blank. Could it be my video card? The monitor is a Samsung Synchmaster 955DF.

If this is an nvidia chip (I think it is), the 2-d driver supplied by Mandrake should work fine. If you want 3-d with open gl, go to the downloads (link above) navigate to the nvidia folder and grab th rpm's there (both of them) Then find the howto in our FAQ section and follow the instructions. :wink:

Yes, everything for the linux user at Mandrakeusers.org!! :mystismiles:

It is an Nvida but I suppose that the driver is not working (unless I need to set it to run 2D?) What is "3-d with open gl"? It would be difficult to be any Newbie-er than I am and I do appreciate all the help. -Will

2-d is the normal gui environment. 3-d is used for games, like tuxracer or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I would install the nvidia driver either way, because it is written by the manufacturer for their cards.