xfree makes me dizzy

Guest sameerb

Guest sameerb

HI Everyone,

since mdk 8.2 released with xfree 4.2 i am having serious eye strain using mandrake, i have tried various things but nothing has helped...

i have the following configs:

work :

video card: intel i810 on board

monitor: ViewSonic P815

Home:

video card: matrox g450

monitor: gateway vx 700

I have tried the following things:

- got better AA fonts (windows)

- got AA enabled freetype2 rpms

- tried changing color schemes

- tried changing video resolution

- tried changing video refresh freq to 85Hz

i am still getting serious eye strain :shock:

couple of things i would like to try ..

- get a browser that has AA support.. both mozilla and netscape 7.0 look crappy

does anyone have anyother suggestions??

Thanks

-SB

Guest joehill

AA will kill your eyes. Your eyes try to focus what they see as a blurry image, but of course the image is blurred to begin with.

Therefore your eyes undergo a ceryain amount of strain.

I would disable AA altogether. It may look cool sometimes, but it's bad for you in the long run.

Good point joehill, I have found myself straining and eyes bothering me more in 9.0 with all the AA, than ever before.

Texstar has a mozilla-xft. I've seen 2 people now that have had trouble (one serious) after installing texstar's freetype2 and xft font pkgs. I don't know if the PLF freetype2 works with the mozilla-xft or not, but the PLF freetype2 and fonts from my Win98 did good.

look at the second to last post

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...5929&highlight=

texstar

ftp://ftp.ibiblio.org/pub/Linux/distribut...tions/mandrake/

PLF

http://plf.zarb.org/

http://www.xmission.com/~howardm/modelines.html

http://www.club-nihil.net/mub/viewtopic.ph...5596&highlight=

Guest sameerb

HI,

Thanks for all the comments... I have tried disabling AA altogether and for sizes between 8 and 14...

that doesnt help me..

the other thing is that xfree4.2.1 doesnt give me the whole color range of my video card.. also my monitor looks really bright .. i tried turning it down but didnt help much...

thanks

SB

Verifying first your cards abilities with Xfree86, I'd try some custom setting, as suggested in the link above at club-nihil.net. Correct refresh rates with diff monitor modes may give you better results.

Take a look at

man xset

xset --help

especially the -P option. I dk if it'll help. If this is something you incorporate into your settings you'll have to put them in a X startup script.

Maybe you should try turning down the colour temperature of your monitor. At 9300K the blue end of the spectrum is much brighter (relative to red end) than daylight conditions. Maybe try 6550K. It may look a bit redish at first but you quickly renormalize your sensitivity to blue.

Glitz.

PS. It is also a good idea to take frequent breaks and focus on distant objects for 30s or so.

I like to "balance" my color preferences with xgamma. Are you familiar with it?

In a terminal, type

xgamma -rgamma x.xx -ggamma x.xx -bgamma x.xx

where rgamma is your red, defaulta at 1.0

ggamma is your green, defaults at 1.0

bgamma is your blue, defaults at 1.0

I use "xgamma -rgamma 1.1 -bgamma 1.1" which sets my monitor to red @ 1.1, green @ 1.0, and blue @ 1.1, but your monitor and card really determine these characteristics. Sometimes, brightnes is not what is off, but gamma, or color intensity.

Guest sameerb

Hi,

This Gamma thing is something i havent tried yet and would definitely want to try... couple of questions ..

-what gamma values are right for me...i use the same monitor for windows too can i find it out from there

-is there a help file or how to some where

-are the values fixed or i have to do it everytime i restart X server

Thanks

-SB

I would first try changing the colour temperature setting on your monitor. Go to the monitor's menu and change it.

Also, try to avoid bright text on a dark background. That's really hard on the eyes.

Glitz.

Guest sameerb

Hi Everyone,

Thanks for all the suggestions and responses.. i am trying one at a time... i found a gamma utility which i wanted to share with others

http://kgamma.berlios.de/index2.php

i will be trying the color temperature next.. but gamma adjustement has definiately helped my eyes...

i will keep everyone posted..

Thanks

-SB