Do I need to configure a USB mouse? [solved]

coverup

I have an OEM USB mouse, which works fine with my laptop except for scrolling is not smooth. I mean,

when I scroll up or down, the window sometimes "jumps" back a little, as if I were jerking the wheel. I use this mouse when the laptop is docked. The rest of the time I use touchpad, which seems to work fine. Does anybody know what could be a problem? It looks like a config/driver issue to me. I don't think the mouse is broken, it worked OK with my old laptop until I installed Mandriva.

Since you didn't tell us what release version of Mandriva you're using, I'll have to guess it's 2008.0. I've used a couple different usb mice with 2008.0 without having to adjust anything. However they can be adjusted in Control Center > Peripherals > Mouse > Advanced

To check the config/driver with the cli, do

cat /proc/bus/usb/devices |grep -i mouse

cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep -i mouse

lsmod |grep -i mouse

does it look ok?

I have the same problem with my wheel mice no matter which distro I use. This problem doesn't happen if I use my trackball mouse. You could try messing about with the Mouse wheel scrolls by function in the KDE Control Centre. KDE Control Cente--> Peripherals--> Mouse--> Advanced.

Cross Post

I'm a victim of my slow typing again :)

Edited by {BBI}Nexus{BBI}

Thanks. Yes I am using 2008.0 on ThinkPad T61. Here is the output of those commands:

$ cat /proc/bus/usb/devices |grep -i mouse

shows nothing...

$ cat /etc/X11/xorg.conf |grep -i mouse
AllowMouseOpenFail # allows the server to start up even if the mouse does not work
Identifier "Mouse1"
Driver "mouse"
Option "Device" "/dev/mouse"
Identifier "SynapticsMouse1"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
InputDevice "SynapticsMouse1" "AlwaysCore"

According to the above, the touchpad uses the driver "mouse", ok...

# lsmod |grep -i mouse
usbmouse				4832  0
usbcore			   118760  6 usb_storage,usbmouse,usbhid,ehci_hcd,uhci_hcd

Ok, the module usbmouse is loaded...

I have the same problem with my wheel mice no matter which distro I use. This problem doesn't happen if I use my trackball mouse. You could try messing about with the Mouse wheel scrolls by function in the KDE Control Centre. KDE Control Cente--> Peripherals--> Mouse--> Advanced.

Cross Post

I'm a victim of my slow typing again :)

Thanks for the hint, I will look at those options, though it does not seem to be KDE related - touchpad does not seem to have any issues with scrolling, and KDE should not give a damn about how many mice are attached.

Edited by coverup

Thanks for the hint, I will look at those options, though it does not seem to be KDE related - touchpad does not seem to have any issues with scrolling, and KDE should not give a damn about how many mice are attached.
This is not a quantity issue. It's to do with the scroll lines associated with the mouse wheel e.g. I changed the settings from scroll by 3 lines to scroll by 1 and now no more jumping pages!

This is not a quantity issue. It's to do with the scroll lines associated with the mouse wheel e.g. I changed the settings from scroll by 3 lines to scroll by 1 and now no more jumping pages!

Thanks for clarifying... Will try it now...

Though I am not sure this will answer my question. In my case, scrolling up causes the cursor to jump down. Did you say, you had this very problem?

I had just changed the setting to scroll by 1 line. Indeed, scrolling has become smoother, but the mouse still behaves `funny': I scroll up, but the cursor suddenly moves down, and this happens at random.

I had just changed the setting to scroll by 1 line. Indeed, scrolling has become smoother, but the mouse still behaves `funny': I scroll up, but the cursor suddenly moves down, and this happens at random.
Is it by any chance a laser mouse?

All of your outputs are normal for your system and mouse. I would start looking at the mouse, as possibly being the problem. If it's a regular mouse with a ball, you can clean it. Do you have another mouse to try?

All of your outputs are normal for your system and mouse. I would start looking at the mouse, as possibly being the problem. If it's a regular mouse with a ball, you can clean it. Do you have another mouse to try?

Thanks for the idea. I will try another mouse... I might also try my mouse with Windows. It would be a strange coincidence if the mouse got broken at the same time when I replaced the laptop.