Libranet 2.8- A Kinder, Gentler Debian

yeah i heard so many good things about that. but i was suprised to know that i was wrong that previous releases are rendered free when new ones come into play. :(

and we have an ex-mub alumni in their forums. anybody remember her? :#:

ciao!

I remember a "she" went to Libranet, but don't recall its name.....fangs will love this :P [fangs is Mystified]

Actually they're not free....but the price which is quite high is lowered....a lot. 2.7 is down to 25USD from 70USD for 2.8. For someone without a lot of $ and it using apt-get and synaptic....could be a way to give it a go.

http://www.libranet.com/download.html

I've heard first hand that their support is great as well.

Home

http://www.libranet.com/index.html

Forum

http://libranetlinux.com/forum/phpBB2/

yeah i heard so many good things about that. but i was suprised to know that i was wrong that previous releases are rendered free when new ones come into play. :(

and we have an ex-mub alumni in their forums. anybody remember her? :#:

ciao!

Must be the polar bear lady.... never did hear what the 31 stood for

My Review :mystismiles:

I'm impressed! The install isn't much more difficult than a Mandrake -expert install. It did seem slower but that's probably due to the fact that there's a lot more "desktop/user/multimedia/fun stuff" installed, unless you want to take the time to unselect 100+ pkgs. There didn't appear to be an "in-between". It was either a "minimal" or 3/4 were selected and you had to unselect a lot. I didn't check but I'd think if "minimal" was chosen you could then select what you want....but didn't try it.

Partitioning

Lame.....when you're use to diskdrake. Forgot what it was called (sorry, I'll call it expert) but unless you choose the expert partitioning option (3) it'll install everything (/home) to /root :shock: . Like I said it's not much harder than mandrake expert mode, basically done with the keyboard.

X, Mouse, Keyboard

NiiIIIIiiiicccee :!: ATTENTION NVIDIA OWNERS after easily setting up the mouse, I was then asked if I wanted to setup the proprietary drivers from NVIDIA :shock: . I said Y, it was installed and XF86Config-4 updated! Ahhhhh.... :wink: The downside is that it was the 4323 or whatever....not the latest 4363 (sorry if the version numbers aren't correct, but you know what I mean). What can you say for setting up a keyboard :?:

Post Install

I was disappointed that it couldn't configure my printer (HP932C). Its always been configure in Mandrake all the way back to 8.1. Well, 9.0 didn't even have this in the install for me, but setup was easy after install. My printer has been Setup from the Xadminmenu.....Libranets equivalent to the Mandrake Control Center...or attempt thereof. :wink: Even has the TurboPrint Drivers for those of you that use them, or want to. Lets see.....OH!...NO REBOOT :headbang: .....gotton love this one! Nope, just goes right to gdm for a login. :shock: ...truly LINUX!!!!

Pkg Management

Uuuuuhh......it's a debian based distro so not a lot needs to be said that hasn't been already. To clarify one thing I will say that when you open Xadminmenu>Packages tab>Internet button, a terminal is opened and you just type the pkg_name. No need for a string (apt-get bla bla bla). there's also a Security, CD, Remove, Aptitude (extreme expert), and Synaptic buttons. *cough* unlike most distros.....only one pkg needed a security update (libgtop). Realplayer, Java, flash, and mozplugger can all be selected from a button, downloaded, installed and configured automatically.....the way it should be.

Well, Ive spent enough time on this. Should check it out for yourself. I like it...a lot, and it may become my main, but that'll require more time/testing. Worth $70? Depends on if you got it lying around. There are a lot of things that will still require the command line. Xadminmenu is not MCC, but for a deb based distro....this puppy rocks! Overall.....IT IS smoother than mandrake.....gnome2 that is. Haven't even tried the other wm's/DE's. If you like games, its got a ton. For a 2.8....this distro is well on it's way to the top, IMO.

Have Fun!

After talking with BVC last week and reading several articles I decided to take the plung and BUY a Linux Distro, (not the first time, I have several SuSE box's laying around).

Anyway,

The install was easy and straight forward. Nvidia ti_4200 128MB video card was detected and 3d was a go. CDR & DVD player were correctly configured . Soundblaster Live was configured with the Correct Driver (Mandrake if you don't pay attention use's audigy instead of emuk01, which doesn't work). ATI TV Wonder VE card was detected and setup. Finally a Debian distro that would do it all, I like it a lot too.

As BVC mentioned, packages, more than you need. (I have cable modem, sorry bvc!) So upgrades are a snap. Libranet 2.8 uses Debian Sarge tree which is a testing tree, one step over Woody(stable) but one under the unstable branch called SID, but you can alway's change your apt.sources to reflect SID and be as bleeding edge as you want.

I have tested just about every distro out there including Gentoo, and I think after all these years I might just stick with Debian/Libranet....

Anyway, if you can check it out, I don't think you will be disappointed.

:cheeky: