help installing modem

Jeff Aderholdt

I'm new to Mandriva. Doing reseach, I found the .tar file for a 536EP modem. I extract the files to a folder, under my home directory. I open the Konsole & login as root (su -), manuever to the folder. The next 3 steps of the installation instructions are 1/ type: make clean ; 2/ type: make 536 ; 3/ type: make install. When I type any of these commands, I get a no such command message. What am I missing?

here's the latest.

I reinstalled Mandriva Spring 2008 from scratch. Went through the install procedure. the commands now work. Had to install kernel-source pkg. the make clean & make 536 worked fine. When I got to make install I got this:

rm -f /etc/hamregistry.bin

bash Intel536_inst

running kernel 2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv

installing hamregistry, used for persistant storage

installing Intel536 driver

install MANDRAKE Intel536 boot script and links

starting module and utilities

FATAL: Error inserting Intel536 (/lib/modules/2.6.24.2-desktop-1mdv/kernel/drivers/char/Intel536.ko): Invalid module format

insmod: can't read 'Intel536': No such file or directory

error loading Intel536

ERROR: Module Intel536 does not exist in /proc/modules

done

Suggestions?

Be sure that you have installed the correct kernel sources. The kernel sources must match the running kernel. Just update to the latest kernel and then install the matching sources. If you cannot update, then scan the install disk for the correct sources.

AFAIK, kernel 2.6.24blah is only available in Mandriva 2008.1 beta. The release of 2008 came with kernel 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 in the contribs, along with the specific sources for each. That is why I asked you to be sure you have installed the correct source. Do you have a beta version of 2008 Spring rather than 2008?

I reinstalled Mandriva Spring 2008 from scratch. Went through the install procedure. the commands now work. Had to install kernel-source pkg. the make clean & make 536 worked fine. When I got to make install I got this:

-snip-

Lets check to see if the module was compiled with the same version of gcc as the kernel. Please post the output of

cat /proc/version

and

gcc --version

do they match? If so, did you use the latest source from here: linmodems.technion.ac.il/packages/intel/

AFAIK, kernel 2.6.24blah is only available in Mandriva 2008.1 beta. The release of 2008 came with kernel 2.6.22 and 2.6.23 in the contribs, along with the specific sources for each. That is why I asked you to be sure you have installed the correct source. Do you have a beta version of 2008 Spring rather than 2008?

Ah!... Did not realize it to be pre-released version. Had no desire to be on Bleeding edge! I am in the process of downloading 2008.0 on friends broadband. Thanks!

BTW, I'm not up on all the Shorthand, what is AFAIK?