Graphics problems - OpenGL I guess

phunni

I have had a flash of inspiration - when I first installed Mandrake on my computer and set up X with the config tools - I was told that my card supported 3D acceleration and asked if I wanted it enabled. I wonder if that setting has not been set up in my new linux configuration - does anyone know what to do to enable the i810 module to use 3D? I have set OpenGL to use xfree rather than nvidia

does anyone know what to do to enable the i810 module to use 3D?  I have set OpenGL to use xfree rather than nvidia

What? i810 is not an NVidia card, and therefore won't use NVidia drivers... why on earth would you even have the option?

I'm pretty sure that the port of wolfenstein uses openGL

The option was only available becaue I could run opengl-update and specify xfree as an option. the other option, nvidia, probably wouldn't have worked but I wanted to try and make sure it was xfree so as to be sure that this wasn't the cause of the problem

OK - I've made some progress, although I'm not sure how.

I installed dri as I thought it might be the missing link but that just screwed things up even worse - libGL.so dissapeared

So I uninstalled that - libGL.so was nowhere to be found but I saw two files:

/usr/lib/old.libGL.so

/usr/lib/old/libGL.so.1

so I changed their names by removing the "old"

Now some games work - uplink appears to and wolfenstein 3D works better than it did in that the display is not corrupted, but everything is horribly slow - so much so as to make the game unplayable

Any help would be appreciated - I've never really had to set this kind of stuff up before, mandrake always used to do it for me :roll: :oops:

Edit: Poopmup plays in the same way as wolfgl - viewable but unplayably slow

Edit: tried re-installing DRI which didn't cause the same problems this time - although nothing has improved. Running the glxinfo tool says that direct rendering is off. I guess that this is probably my problem, but I don't really now how to fix it

Edit: - all solved. All that was required was a quick(!) kernel recompile and installing DRM via a different method (portage)