Anyone successfully played midis with es1371?

Steve Scrimpshire

I tried Timidity, plugger, and whitekey, but nothing will play. Plugger crashes my browser with '...cannot find /dev/sequencer' and Timidty gives me these kinda errors:

No instrument mapped to tone bank 0, program 74 - this instrument will not be heard

No instrument mapped to drum set 0, program 35 - this instrument will not be heard

The little switch is moving like it is playing, but no sound at all.

With whitekey, I get these errors:

[omar@localhost whitekey]$ ./whitekey -i /home/omar/tmp/liberty.mid 

./whitekey-Linux-2.0.36-egcs-2.91.60-i486-linux: Symbol `cerr' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

015.... "yamaha/chrom/tubebell.wav"

memory shortage or load error (yamaha/chrom/tubebell.wav)

[omar@localhost whitekey]$ ./whitekey -i /home/omar/tmp/Ratbtblu.mid 

./whitekey-Linux-2.0.36-egcs-2.91.60-i486-linux: Symbol `cerr' has different size in shared object, consider re-linking

001/089 ""

undefined instrument (1,1,89)

019.... "yamaha/organ/rockorg.wav"

memory shortage or load error (yamaha/organ/rockorg.wav)

Timidity and Kmidi work for me with es1371 but the only instruments are piano-guitar and the play playbacks really suck, very tiny with 3/4 of the sound missing.It's nothing like the sound you get in windows. I assumed it was due to proprietary patch sets in windows that aren't available for linux. Never really pursued it because I don't really care enough to and the kimidi help had a fairly complicated procedure for adding additional patch sets for more instruments.

It's not over yet! The reason Kmidi plays so poorly is that it currently only has two instruments - piano and guitar.

If you read the KMidi handbook there is a section on downloading and installing additional patchsets for KMidi - Read through it, follow the appropriate links and download the new patchsets (I recommend EAWPATS 12 - its on par with an AWE 128); configure them to play under KMidi (a little fiddly) - and away you go with your midis screaming out of your speakers...

Don't be discouraged so easilly - Linux requires a bit of effort but the results are worth it... :D