Athlon Kernel

jlc

yes i have used it, it works for me, i forgot to upload the source rpm which you would need if you want to compile modules like the nvidia drivers.

I uploaded the source rpm last night so anon can put it in the download section.

One thing the mm kernel doesn't support high memory.

I have 1 gig of ram so i went back to a athlonxp optimised enterprise kernel so i could have all the ram addressed.

I will look into getting highmem support enabled in the mm kernel because it had a nicer "feel" too it in kde. Unfortuanately it doesn't look like a can pass options using rpm --rebuild so i am going to have to read through the mdk rpm faq and possibly make my own mm kernel src rpm (shudder :( )

I rebuilt my own athlon based multimedia kernel (among other things) in order to get the gentoo like athlon optimization of my mandrake. The result, my desktop is getting more unstable. So I returned to stock everything. Much more stable.

But you can try if you want to.. it's just that my motherboard is really really finicky regarding the software it likes.

Desktop: Athlon XP TB 1700+ @ 1837 MHz, 512 MB DDR, GF4 Ti4200, 2x30 GB HD, Mandrake 9.1 + Win2k

Athlon XP TB 1700+ @ 1837 MHz, perhaps if you were not overclocking :wink:

my system seems stable enough.

make sure you know that these are optimized for Athlon XP's, not regular athlon's. atleast that's my understand, johnnyv will hopefully back me up on this :-) since he did compile them.

make sure you know that these are optimized for Athlon XP's, not regular athlon's.  atleast that's my understand, johnnyv will hopefully back me up on this :-) since he did compile them.

Well yes you are correct these should only run on athlon xp processors so be carefull.

Also when they get transferred out of the uploads section, the newer rpms are a mixture of illogical's & mine so be very carefull :wink:

Thanks for the warning, I do have an XP 2000 and I do realize the difference. I've run gentoo before, sweet system. Down side is it takes so long and if you need to install on multiple systems it's just not a good thing.

Do you know when the src will be available?

Thanks again for the warning tyme

8)

Athlon XP TB 1700+ @ 1837 MHz, perhaps if you were not overclocking :wink:  

my system seems stable enough.

Actually, I tried it with stock speed, even underclocked speed (100 mhz fsb instead of 133). Same problems. It's nvidia driver problem actually, but it seems to be more prevalent when I rebuilt my rpms to athlon than stock mandrake.

DragonMage, what mobo are you using?

Epox 8RDA+ rev 1.1, NForce 2 Motherboard. The problem seems to be isolated in this particular mobo with mandrake 9.1. With newer bios than the January release, it doesn't even want to run X with Nvidia driver (just black screen and then hang). I have to press the reset button since even keyboard doesn't respond. I heard that revision 1.5 is much better.

Anyway, you are welcome to use the optimized rpms. You actually can feel the difference. The optimized ones just feel snappier. I just give you a disclaimer so that if it doesn't work or it crash your previously fine working desktop, you cannot complain to us :)

Guest ump

Cool

I had know idea there was a optimized kernel for AMD Atholan XP's

I am currentley running a XP 1800 with MDK 9.0 stock kernal do you think I would see much of a gain? Also how diffecult is it to optimize the kernal?

Thanks in Advance

Jesse

Cool  

I had know idea there was a optimized kernel for AMD Atholan XP's  

I am currentley running a XP 1800 with MDK 9.0 stock kernal do you think I would see much of a gain? Also how diffecult is it to optimize the kernal?  

Thanks in Advance  

Jesse

As far as gain.. it's pretty much negligible if you just optimize the kernel. In order for the gain to be noticeable, you have to optimize not just the kernel but also the applications, maybe even the libraries and the compiler. In other word, doing the gentoo :)