Help request from a newbie Mandriva user

freeboy

Hello All

I am completely new to mandriva & Linux.

I have downloaded Mandriva Linux One 2008 and installed it on my computer.

My system information is:

Amd Sempron 2600+ Processor it is a 64 bit compatible system.

I want to know what is my architecture is?

I have read about dependencies and downloaded easyurmpi with systen architecture I586.

I downloaded some rpm files. Some files installed sucessfully with install and remove software program. but i cannot find where they are installed in my computer. I installed a game named kdiamond-0.1-0.i586.rpm from (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KDiamond?content=74922)

it installed after some dependencies.It was installed sucessfully by install and remove software

but when I access the game from my menu-->games-->puzzles-->KDiamond

it doesnot start.

What is the problem I am having with my os?

I am getting this information from control center:

KDE Version:3.5.7

User:xxxxx

Hostname:localhost

System:Linux

Release:2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv

Machine:I686

Please help me with this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Freeboy.

A big warm welcome to MUB, freeboy.

It is possible that that particular game requires OpenGL.

It is also possible that OpenGL is not installed/ not working.

An easy way to check is to go open Kde Control Centre.......Appearance and Themes..............Screensavers and click on any screensaver in the OpenGL group and then click test.

If it runs very slowly and jerkily the it means that you do not have the Video driver for your card installed or working. For example if you have a Nvidia card then it is likely running with the generic driver <nv>.

Please let us know how you go.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

Hello All

I am completely new to mandriva & Linux.

I have downloaded Mandriva Linux One 2008 and installed it on my computer.

My system information is:

Amd Sempron 2600+ Processor it is a 64 bit compatible system.

I want to know what is my architecture is?

I don't really understand what you mean. You wrote it's 64 bit compatible. Your OS is 32 bit.
I have read about dependencies and downloaded easyurmpi with systen architecture I586.

I downloaded some rpm files. Some files installed sucessfully with install and remove software program. but i cannot find where they are installed in my computer. I installed a game named kdiamond-0.1-0.i586.rpm from (http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php/KDiamond?content=74922)

it installed after some dependencies.It was installed sucessfully by install and remove software

but when I access the game from my menu-->games-->puzzles-->KDiamond

it doesnot start.

What is the problem I am having with my os?

You use the Windows kind of software installing. In Linux you use the software installer utility to download and install software. It also handles the dependencies too. You just have to configure where to download the software from. Those are mostly ftp servers with a specific directory structure called reposytories or just simply repos. To configure the software installer utility visit easyurpmi.zarb.org.

The rpm you installed is not a Mandriva rpm file. Rpm packages are not portable from distro to distro.

I am getting this information from control center:

KDE Version:3.5.7

User:xxxxx

Hostname:localhost

System:Linux

Release:2.6.22.9-desktop586-1mdv

Machine:I686

Please help me with this matter.

Thanks in advance.

Freeboy.

Thanks for such quick responses.

Actually the games are not that important for me but I would like to see some software which I can run on Mandriava 2008 which I can download from internet.

One thing that I need is a ftp software which is very simple and can be run wihout much hassle.

The thing is that I have been using windows for a long time and I understand that it will take some learning to get used to Mandriva. For that I am prepared to put in time and effort to learn the system as I want to completely migrate to Mandriva.

So I would request you to suggest some site where I can learn about this system from the beginning and learn to use software which would help me learn more about the system and give me confidence.

I am very grateful for what help you have given me

Thanks and all the best

freeboy

According to that link you posted, the game you were trying is described so:

Currently, KDiamond is in an early stage. stability (currently in the "works for me" state)
I would suggest that you try something a little more mature as your starting point. And as dexter says, the best way (and should be your only way for now) is via Mandriva's excellent built-in software library. It's really cool once you spend a few minutes setting it up.

If you've got Mandriva 2008, it should be able to set up the repositories for you automatically. You said you "downloaded easyurmpi" - I've no idea what you mean by this. What you should do is open up your "Add / Remove software" gui from the menu and if it offers to help you set up your repositories, say yes. Then you can select a repository server near you and it will download the list of applications for you. This configuration you only have to do once.

Then you can search the repository, or browse (for example select the 'games' category), click which ones you want and then hit the "Install" button. If it sounds almost too easy, it is! :D

Have a look in your menu for documentation, I can't remember if it's installed by default but there should be some kind of "getting started" guide or something.

Oops, I've just reread it and seen this:

KDiamond is a three-in-a-row game (much like Bejeweled) for the KDE 4 desktop.
I'm guessing you have KDE 3, not KDE 4, so it might be very difficult to get this to work properly. Plus as Dexter says the RPM is for Suse, not Mandriva which reduces the chances even further. If you want games, check out the included ones like Frozen Bubble, Crack-Attack, Knetwork or Klickety. There are a lot!

You might also find this wiki link useful: http://wiki.mandrivausers.org/index.php/Linux_software

Thanks all for your advice and tips

neddie, I followed what you said about getting software and was able to install some games and best of all CoralFTPwhich I wanted badly. To my surprise and happiness it worked. So thank you very much for saving me so much head banging.

Thanks Greg2 for your advice.

I will be tinkering more and will come back here for more tips and advice

Yes, can somebody please tell me where I can learn more about Shell or Konsole from the beginning.

Again thanks to all who have taken time to help me.

I am grateful

All the best

freeboy

There used to be a command line guide but it's not there so guess it must be in one (or both) of the mastering guides what you need.

A command line guide is still available:

http://club.mandriva.com/xwiki/bin/view/KB...01Documentation

Although it's for 10.1, I would think almost all of it will still be relevant.

Jim

and best of all CoralFTP which I wanted badly. To my surprise and happiness it worked.
Strange - I tried to also install coralftp (cos I'm sick of Kbear, Kasablanca and now Filezilla), but when I try to urpmi it it's not there! :unsure: It's also not in rpmdrake, and doesn't come up when I do urpmq ftp.

Yet when I browse to the contrib directory of my mirror (using the url pasted from rpmdrake's media manager), I can see coralftp-0.2.2-2mdv2007.0.noarch.rpm - I just can't get it from urpmi :angry: Maybe it's a mistake in the hdlist I'm using?

Hello Neddie,

This is how i did it using Software management here is the screenshot

http://www.mediafire.com/?5zez28cnozd

Use the us mirror site.

If you cannot install coralftp from this Software Management then you can download the source code from this site

http://rpm.pbone.net/index.php3/stat/4/idp...noarch.rpm.html

The Direct mirror link ftp://mirror.switch.ch/mirror/mandrake/of...08.0.noarch.rpm

This will work for mandriva 2008.

Hope it helps.

Freeboy

I know I can get the rpm from pbone and I guess I can get it from other mirrors (and yes even directly from my repository), but I'm just curious how it can be that it's not available through my urpmi even though I can see it in the ftp repository. I guess it must be either a Mandriva bug or a bug synchronizing the hdlists. Sadly I have no clue how to interrogate the hdlists file directly to see if the problem is there or not.

On a related note, mini told me he uses Konqueror for ftp uploads, and after trying it it really seems to work well, much less annoying than filezilla. Somehow I never thought of using Konqueror as an ftp upload client.