Wine programs in K menu?

I'm sure this is possible, but I don't know how. I have aprogram installed localy that only runs through wine (and is correctly configured to do so). How do add this program to the K menu?

SHould be simple, I just don't know how.

1. create a simple batch script that goes something like this

#!/bin/bash

cd directory-of-wine-program

wine your-program.exe

2. save the file and give it execute permissions (chmod +x scriptname)

3. create a link in kde pointing to the script you created.

i dont remember the stuff about #3 but you could start with right-clicking or in the kde config something. :#:

ciao!

oh yeah :oops:. but it might not work for some emulated programs since some needs to be started in the directory where they reside.

another thing that could be done here is the following:

• create the directory $HOME/bin

[*] create script and save it in $HOME/bin

[*] if you boot to the command line (run level 3), add the following line to your $HOME/.bash_profile

export PATH=$PATH:$HOME/bin

. (login and out so everything takes effect afterwards, or source it after you kill X)

[*] if you boot to kdm/gdm, search on how to achieve the effect on the previous line. i think it was aru who posted about it.

[*] create menu link and pont it to the script

what does this do? $HOME/bin is your private repository for scripts that you made. after you have done the steps above you will be able to call the script anywhere from any terminal/console in your system. :)

ciao!

oh yeah :oops:. but it might not work for some emulated programs since some needs to be started in the directory where they reside.

This is true. When I was using WineX to run EverQuest, I had to start it from within the directory it was installed in. This was mainly because, otherwise, it would patch it to all hell-because it couldn't find _any_ of the files. That's just one example, I'm sure many other programs have issues with not being started in their home dir.

All you have to do, is use whatever menu editor KDE uses, and use this as the command line:

wine "C:Program Fileswhatever the path isexecutable.exe"

or

winex "C:bla blahexecutable.exe"

or

winex3 "C:bla blahexecutable.exe"

Then, it will run from the menu and/or desktop icon.

I decided to go ahead and make shell scripts, didn'te realize I could enter wine blah/blah/blah.exe in th kmenu, I'll try that, it'd be nice to get rid of the scripts folder I made for all my programs. THanks guys.

Guest Joentje

If you get Point2Play from transgaming, the program is automaticaly put in your kmenu (they claim it also works for any other wm). This works great for me. The Icons to the installed games are kept in this litle app.

Well, it's great if you're willing to pay for it... but I haven't regret my transgaming subscription yet.

I 'd actualy realy like to get a subscription, at least long enough to download it all, but bread is pretty tight right now, so it is going to have to wait.

By the way, I know that they don't offer the current version to non-subsscribers, but is it okay to redistribute it or is that a no-no?

• 1 month later...

I'm trying to run kazaa from the k menu also. I created a new directory, wine, then add a new entry kazaa and used wine /home/mystified/.wine/blah/blah/kazaa.exe. It's exactly what I type when I'm running it from terminal. It didn't work so I opted to "Open in Terminal" when I run the program and I get the error message that /opt/wine/bin/wine.bin cannot find /home/mystified/. . .

What am I doing wrong? My daughter uses it and I finally have everything running so that she no longer has a reason to boot into windoze but I'd like to make it even simpler for her. :?

Yes it does Script Nut Jr!  :lol:  I can execute the script from terminal but can't get it to run from KMenu.

Have you tried just simply creating a desktop icon for it, instead of putting it in the menu?