nVidia auto update.

Pepse

I see on nVidia's site that they apparently have it so that the latest nVidia drivers can be updated automatically. Is that a good idea?? I mean with so many people having probs with installing nVidia drivers is it a good idea to have nVidia do it for us?? Or am I missing something here??

Later. Pepse. :?

Right, but have you used it?? Or know of anybody that is?? I did look thru this site via searching for nVidia articles and didn't come across anything as far back as early Feb., but that doesn't mean something that was worded diff didn't get included in the search. Gotta research this a bit before I gamble on using/trying it. Sorta like I don't see any GOOD reason to upgrade to 9.1; I'm not a gamer and I presume that is most of the reasons for the newest distro. At present I only need upgrades for my digitsal camera thru Gphoto (whenever they include my camera). And Xcdroast ('tho that is getting the best of me :x ) So, basically I've decided to just upgrade what I need. To me it is safer that way. That's why I asked about this auto-update; to see if it's easy on the system.

Later. Pepse.

I'd imagine that all it does is use wget to download a file and auto install. So what's diff here is the question? Will you be using auto install (prebuilt), or expert? If prebuilt and you are comfortable with that then the only diff with autoupdate is the downloading of a file, and trusting it gets the right one, which is simply the newest (version comparison). It's universal now.... :roll: which makes for a much bigger download. The installer is great though.....never been easier. I thought I'd hate it....but I like it. :wink:

Well, that's why I posted this. To get a little feedback and see what other opinions are. It does sound good; but just because it sounds good doesn't mean it would be worth it. It does sound like it would be worth it :D . Considering the FUN I had when doing the initial compiling last winter, I could use a break on something for this system. I consider "X" being the biggest nightmare of the things to compile. You ain't got "X" right yer screwed. The other things I'm dealing with are not going to put me out of a Linux box; altho I do have a small hdd with 9.0 on it in case of emergency. Thanx for the opinions :D .

Later. Pepse.

No problem with autoupdate either for me, even though I use a roll-my-own kernel. It just download the source driver, compile it to my kernel-source, and then put it in appropriate places. All I need is to edit my xf86config and voila.. instant use of nvidia driver.

The only problem I foresee is if a newer version of the Nvidia driver is buggy and therefore you need to use an older driver. Is there any way to install a previous version of the driver with it? Or at least a way to download everything required to install a version of the driver without internet access?

Glitz.