Restart selected - system shuts down completely

edwardp

I have installed Mandriva 2008 Free on a Compaq Presario 5900Z (Desktop 3 in my sig below), also using the Gnome desktop.

When restarting the system, System/Shut Down/Restart shuts the system down completely, it does not restart. System/Shut Down/Shut Down also shuts the system down. Is there something I need to look at to see why Restart will not restart the system?

Edited by edwardp

Nothing in the BIOS has been changed at all since the system was first received brand new, in fact, I have no idea how to get into the BIOS on this. This is a dual-boot system with Windows XP Home. When Restart is selected in Windows however, the system will properly restart. When it shuts down from either Windows or Linux, the system powers itself off automatically.

When it's powered on, the first thing seen is a large Compaq logo, then the graphical GRUB menu appears.

We may need to get into the bios and change a setting. What is the Compaq model number? Generally, when the machine first boots, F1, Delete, or Escape are the most common key presses for accessing the bios.

I think that I would look for a setting that says "Plug N Play OS" with a selection of yes or no. Make it no. This is a Windows only setting. That is the first thing. Then, I would look at the acpi settings and be sure there is not some sort of Windows supremacy choice in there. It would be in the power saving area in the bios. They are different and you have to look at it. If there are doubts, don't change anything but post here what the actual verbage says in your bios.

See if this screen helps.

I think that I would look for a setting that says "Plug N Play OS" with a selection of yes or no. Make it no. This is a Windows only setting. That is the first thing. Then, I would look at the acpi settings and be sure there is not some sort of Windows supremacy choice in there. It would be in the power saving area in the bios. They are different and you have to look at it. If there are doubts, don't change anything but post here what the actual verbage says in your bios.

See if this screen helps.

Interesting BIOS they put in this thing...

There is no item for a plug-and-play OS, nor are there any settings relating to ACPI. The only item relating to power was to restore the system to what state, in the event of a power failure.

In the Compaq website suggested by Lxthusdan regarding Bios, I can plainly see a setting for Plub-n-Play. It is in Advanced

Are you saying that your bios is considerably different ???. I would suggest it is not.

John.

John,

F10 gets me into the BIOS (Phoenix BIOS).

On the Advanced menu:

• PCI Configuration (with additional sub-settings unrelated to the problem)
    I/O Device Configuration (with additional sub-settings unrelated to the problem)
    PS/2 Mouse
    Local BUS IDE Adapter
    Embedded USB Device
    Legacy USB Support
    Large Disk Access Mode (set to DOS)
    Reset Configuration Data

Nothing on this about a plug-and-play operating system and I doubt that changing the Large Disk Access Mode setting to Other (it references this setting for Unix and Novell NetWare), would cause the system to correctly restart when Restart is selected.

I'm wondering if maybe this needs to be reported as a bug...

Ed

How comfortable are you with editing lilo.conf (or is Mandriva using grub now?)

Either way...try adding this to the kernel appends:

reboot='warm'

and then you'll have to reboot twice for the setting to take effect. this is really a wild guess...it may not resolve anything.

If you need more specific directions I can give them, but I think if you go into the Mandriva Control Center you'll find somewhere under Boot/Boot Config there is a place to add kernel appends...(sorry, haven't used a recent Mandriva distro and they move stuff in MCC sometimes).