how to remove unnecessary drivers? [solved]

manmath sahu

I am using mandriva 2008 free. I like its stability and usability.

My notebook is having x3100 graphics card, intel hda sound card and realtek ethernet card. All are working fine. But while updating my notebook I noticed several other graphics and sound drivers are installed. While removing them it shows that it is going to remove those necessary drivers also.

Would anybody suggest me how to uninstall the unnecessary drivers?

Obviously it is a dependency problem.

Considering the small size of these unnecessary drivers they are not worth worrying about. They are not likely to hinder or effect your system in anyway since they are inactive.

In other words.......forget about them. :D :D :D

Cheers. John.

Afaik urpme has no usable switch to uninstall just one package and leaving the supposed dependencies intact (I cannot know of course if these dependencies are true or bogus- do you?).

You can perform some "rpm -e --nodeps" instead, but after that urpmi will likely complain for broken stuff...

I would leave them, they hardly take up any space like John mentions.

Right.

I get my mandriva desktop ready in exactly 1 min of switching on the power button. So, I am not worried about the performance hinderance or space consumption. But I am worried about "why cannot I remove those stuff that are not necessary."

Edited by manmath sahu

As mentioned already, it is because there is some sort of dependency that is causing them to be installed. That is what you found when you tried to remove them, it wanted to remove a load of other stuff as well.

You can technically force removal of these by stopping it looking at dependencies, but you could potentially break your system. That is why we said leave it alone :)

The old saying:

If it ain't broke, don't fix it

comes to mind. :)