Looking for modem drivers

force_flow2002

Hi everybody! I'm a newbie here and to mandrake, so I have probably what you think may be an elementary question.

I installed Mandrake 9.1 a few weeks ago on my computer, but with one problem, there are no drivers for my Conexant V.90 56K modem. :( Here's the chipset number: "RS56-PCI R6793-15"

Here are the rest of my specs, if you need them: ABit NV7-133R - AMD Athlon XP 1900+ - ABit Siluro GF4 Ti4200 64MB - Crucial DDR PC2100 256MB (2)(512MB total) - SB 5.1 Live! - WD 80GB 7200rpm 8MB cache HDDs (2) - Memorex 52x24x52 - Lite-On 52x - Zip100 - Conexant V.90 56K - Quad-boot: Win98SE, 2000 Pro, XP Pro, Mandrake 9.1

Thanks! :)

Welcome!

Ahh but there are! using the Search button at the top of the page and using conexant will give you the links and lots of other info about them. I used them for over a year and my conexant RS56-PCI R6793-12 stayed connected in linux all day (usually) as opposed to disconnecting every hour in win98se.

BTW, when I first tried linux with ML7.2 there wasn't. So when I tried with 8.1 and there was I sent an email to conexant thanking them for their support for linux. I'm sure its appreciated and rare......might think of doing the same :wink:

Thanks for the sppedy reply, bvc. ;)

I did a search and about the only thing that was applicable was this: http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downlo...ds-mdk-x86.html

My kerel version is 2.4.21-0.13mdk. I 've already tried the matching one on the list about two weeks ago. No luck. Any more suggestions?

You're welcome!

Well, I only tried prebuilt rpms once and had trouble so I'd recommend getting the src.rpm from

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/downlo...ds.html#generic

direct link

http://www.linuxant.com/drivers/hsf/archiv...42700-1.src.rpm

and rebuilding with

rpmbuild --rebuild hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700-1.src.rpm

at then end of the build, look for a line that says

Wrote /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ixxx/hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700-1.ixxx.mdk.rpm

and do

rpm -ivh /usr/src/RPM/RPMS/ixxx/hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700-1.ixxx.mdk.rpm

If it's the same as 6 mths ago, to configure run

hsfconfig

Now, is what you just listed the step-by-step instructions for doing this with nothing left out? Remember, I really have no idea what I'm doing yet, since I'm new at this. ;)

I 've already tried the matching one on the list about two weeks ago. No luck. Any more suggestions?

What was the problem after trying this? Did not configure, did not find modem, etc?

I went back to some notes I made when I had this modem and MDK 8.2 and found I needed to install the kernel source before this driver would work. This is not installed by default and do not confuse with kernel.

I would try installing kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13.mdk first and then reinstall hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.21_0.13mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm

If that still does nothing, try running hsfconfig and run through its setup one more time.

If still no go, a little detail on the exact error message or description of problem will help to solve this. And also remember, these modems were made to work only on windows systems. :wink:

What was the problem after trying this? Did not configure, did not find modem, etc?

It said something like "modem not supported".

I would try installing kernel-source-2.4.21-0.13.mdk first and then reinstall hsflinmodem-5.03.27lnxtbeta03042700k2.4.21_0.13mdk-1mdk.i586.rpm

If that still does nothing, try running hsfconfig and run through its setup one more time.

Where can I get this kernel source?

It's on the cd's. In a terminal as root;

urpmi kernel-source

Or use the Software Installer in the Mandrake Control Center> (from the terminal; rpmdrake) search for kernel>select kernel-source>click Install. It's 150MB+.

If you've never su'd to root, you type

su <Enter>

enter_roots_password <Enter>

It looks like this

[bvc@localhost bvc]$ su

Password:

[root@localhost bvc]#

Notice I went from bvc with a $ for user to root with a #.