Evolution and Microsoft Smart Phones

ral

I picked up one of those Microsoft Smart Phones today (well, they had it on promo so I got the Phone free with a $26 a month plan). The Phone came with a copy of Microsoft Active Sync and Outlook 2000.

I would have preferred a Linux Smart phone, but anyway...

This Phone can sync its calendar with MS Outlooks calendar. Any chance that I could sync it with Evolution instead?

Not a phone person myself... so basically I keep them till they die so I have not gotten one in several years. Never thought I would see MS software bundled with a cel phone. There is even a COE sticker with it.

I picked up one of those Microsoft Smart Phones today (well, they had it on promo so I got the Phone free with a $26 a month plan).

ral,

dont take it the wrong way but you might have been screwed. there was a discussion about this in the local palm mailing list and the verdict was not that favorable for the Smart Amazing Phone. Apparently it still has its big brother's *features* and was too $#%@ slow. you might have been better with a P800 with its symbian OS.

the tv ad looks tempting though. :)

YMMV. and i hope its for the good.

ciao!

Ramfree17:

Actually, the P800 is a better phone feature wise, but I would have to get a higher plan... it is probably good though since it is also out of stock :(

Altough I think that if you were getting at that range I would go for the Nokia 3650. Have to disagree on the speed though, the P800 they had for demo was really slow. The Nokia 3650 is pretty fast and has great features.

Have not found it slow so far... booting takes a few seconds (less than 10) after that it works pretty much like me older phones. Navigating through the menu's is instantaneous. If you use a Palm though, I would not get one of these. I don't think the two will interface too well (different OS). It was designed to interface with MS Outlook. A copy of Outlook 2000 is included with the phone... but I need to run it on Linux.

Personally, I also would not get another Ericsson. The R310 left a bad taste in the mouth. Put it in my pocket and somehow manage to break it. Got a Siemen's i35 after that. Take a look at the Mokia 3650 though, workd great and supports bluetooth and the 6100 if you want a smaller package. All three are available at the $39 a month plan.

Not sure what OD the 3650 uses. We got one two weeks ago and it hanged on us once but otheriwse been perfect. Still keepin my fingers crossed with the HTC... worried it might bluecreen... lol

Paul:

Its an HTC unit. My one major reservation is that these things look fragile. The good thing is that thy give them for free imagine that, free MS software...lol)

Now what we really need is a Linux Smart phone. Being practical I am sure that would have an armored water resistant case (sorry I am on the filed a lot so I am particular about this).

Imagine what we have to carry around these days. A cel phone, laptop and a Palm. What bother me most is that they are not durable. You need a cary case for each one :(

Me I am happy enough with a Celphone, an old fashioned calendar and a notebook since I don't want to carry to many fragile things around. At least I can dump the calendar now.

Celphones should be built like my Swiss knife. Eight years in my pocket and nto a scratch on its silver finish.

good to hear everything is doing fine. i didnt say ill get a P800. i am fine with my 3310. if ever im going to get another pda (dumped my palm), it will be a sharp zaurus. maybe ill talk to some of these guys to buy it for me as its cheaper outside than in here.

and to be semi-ontopic, the SAP does the bluescreen. :#:

ciao!

smart phones aye?

What i would like is a cell phone that is:

about half a kilo and decent size, about 8-10X the current volume

water proof

can be dropped 5 meters onto concrete without damage

standby time of 6 months or more

can hold 50 or so phone numbers

does not have txt

does not have crap ring tones need only to sound like a normal phone

has a huge aerial with fantastic reception

thats my perfect cell phone!

"does not have txt "

I am with you there.

I heard a lot about Linux bein used by companies for thigns like this. Can't wait to see them when they come out. I think the Palm's already have some.