konqueror does copy, but how?

satelliteuser083

Occasionally, when I try to copy a large number of directories using drag&drop, konqueror completely loses the plot and creates an entirely different structure on the target-device. I then have to delete the target-structure and copy each directory individually :furious3: , which works. It seems that the structure's complexity determines the degree to which konqueror becomes confused. Is this a known problem and, if so, is there a way around it? A different file-manager, perhaps? Thanks.

Forgot to say that this is in 2008. :huh:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Have you tried copying manually to see if it does the same thing? For example:

cp -R /home/username /mnt/mynewdisk

of course, change the paths to however you want it to be. Sometimes they might be mounted under /media/mynewdisk or whatever, but check this first and then go from there. The -R parameter ensures full-recursive copy of all folders within /home/username.

I did as you suggested

cp -R /home/lawrence/zqstore/ /media/hd/Tmp_mdv2008

which worked correctly. I then deleted the result, i.e. the entire directory below 'Tmp_mdv2008', and tried to drag&drop with konqueror again; this time it set up the top-level directory-structure correctly but crashed with the message

Could not make folder /media/hd/Tmp_mdv2008/zqstore/U3A/General_Forms_etc.

Now, there's something interesting here; the source-directory is called '/home/lawrence/zqstore/U3A' (uppercase 'U', (uppercase 'A') and the target-directory is called '/media/hd/Tmp_mdv2008/zqstore/u3a' (lowercase 'u' (lowercase 'a'). No wonder the directory 'U3A' couldn't be found. :unsure: How can this happen? I've always assumed that all names in linux were case-sensitive.

As far as I can see, no other directory-names were corrupted in this way.

What is the file system used on /media/hd/Tmp_mdv2008? Not all file systems have case-sensitive capability.

Good point. The target-filesystem is, in fact, FAT32. However, I still don't understand why only that directory-name should have been corrupted; surely not by the FAT32 structure? :unsure: And apart from that, why did the cli 'cp -R' work, but not konqueror?

Does the target system *have* to be FAT32? How big is the file? If larger than 4GB you'll have a problem since FAT32 can't deal with anything bigger than 4GB. How did you format the FAT32 partition? Through Linux or Windows? Usually better to format it through Windows, than set it up under Linux. I've had issues with this before.

What we can also do to debug it, is temporarily, remove the complete filesystem structure on the target disk, and recreate it but as an ext3 Linux partition instead. Repeat the copy process, and see if it works? If it does, then we can at least hint at the problem lying with FAT32.

I'll be honest with you, since I've been using MDV (since version 7) I have noticed that anytime I try and copy LARGE amounts of data from 1 drive/directory to another, IF IT STARTS it will usually fail with no error.

I am pretty much ALWAYS going from ext3 to ext3, but regardless of whether I am on the same PC or across a small LAN it just oesnt seem to work.

now as someone else suggested earlier, CLI cp almost ALWAYS works. But anything w/in konqueror almost always fails.

I download everything from the net into a special directory on a specific drive. Then I usually will move certain blocks of data to other areas, other pc's

invariably if I choose large blocks of data (over a few hundred MB) it just doesnt work.

anyone else having issues like that?

j

FAT32 does not support soft or hard links, files larger than 4GB, regular unix permissions, has certain limitations in filename length and the number of files to be holded in each dir, does not discriminate between filenames in upper and lowercase, and on top of all that it needs special mount options to support non-native filenames+characters (plus that the appropriate glibc locales should be preinstalled if you wish them displaying properly).

So, your problem does not seem to be a problem at all... you just used the wrong filesystem for storage.

Edited by scarecrow