K3B

AussieJohn

Hello all.

I currently use TDK DVD discs and have done so for years. The DVD-R discs are 4.7GB.

K3B seems to have the same stupid 4GB file size limitation as Windows with fat32. I have a captured video of 4.3GB which should easily fit onto the 4.7GB disc. I am trying to burn it as a data disc and not as a DVD movie disc but K3B insists on wanting to use a dual layer disc for the task because it is more than 4GB. This is nonsense.

It does the same thing when I try to use a folder containing a small number of video clips that in number total approx. 4.4GB.

I notice that most well known named brands describe them selves as being 4.7GB so I do not see why we should have to waste approx. 700Mb of space just because K3B says so.

I have ALL current updates installed for everything.

Does anyone know an answer to this problem, please ???.

Since the developer/maintainer of K3B has gone to Mandriva, I get the feeling that K3B is now only getting token attention and is not keeping up with the changing real world. Updates for K3B have been rare for quite a while now and is a good sign that very few, if any, bugs exist and that certainly is a good thing but it also shows that no improvements are being made either. Since K3B is the front end then of course the problem may be in the back end packages and if so then their developers may be letting us down and not K3B. If so then Mandriva and K3B should be pressuring them more.

If you have a possible solution then please feel free to respond. Note I do not have Gnome installed so the solutions would preferably reside within a KDE desktop.

Cheers. John.

Hello,

As far as I know, DVD vendors are lying: When they write 4.7GB, it is actually 4700000000B (bytes), which is 4589843KB, which is 4482MB, which is really a bit less than 4.4GB.

So this would explain K3B behaviour with your 4.4GB directory, all the more considering the filesystem overhead. This shouldn't explain the single 4.0GB file, however...

Yves.

BTW: same goes for CDs: 700MB CDs would actually be 700000000B, that is 683593KB, which gives 667MB.

Edited by theYinYeti

Just a suggestion - is 1 Gigabyte 1000000000 bytes or is it 1073741824 bytes?

It's a habit of hard drive manufacturers to specify their drive capacities using the former measure, because then the drive seems bigger. Probably when you're measuring the size of your file (or do you see this in K3b?) you're using the second measure.

That could possibly explain the second one, if the total of lots of files is 4.4GB, and then you need overhead for each file, index and so on, then that could easily add up to more than 47000000000 bytes. I'm not sure why the 4.3GB file shouldn't be ok though, but you may have to play with some file system settings in order to store files that large. I think by default the max file size is around 2GB.

If 4.3GB and 4.4GB is complaining, have a look for the over-burn feature to enable this. I've had this when I've known something should fit perfectly well when trying to get 700MB to fit a 700MB CD. It worked perfectly well afterwards too, and read everything. Although, I've never had to do this when burning 4.3GB or 4.4GB to a DVD. I also use TDK.

The actual capacity of a single layer DVD is 4.37G, which is equal to 4,700,000,000 bytes. The 4G "bug" of mkisofs (not K3B's) is gone in the last versions of wodim/cdrkit.

Best single layer media are Taiyo Yuden, and best double layer ones (factly, probably the only reliable ones) Verbatim.

Thanks everyone.

Thanks scarecrow for the bites bit :lol2: This means that I should still be able to write 4.2 to 4.3 data, but it won't.

I have been using the very latest cdrkit-1.1.6-5mdv2008.0.i586 and its matching isotools so maybe it hasn't been fixed after all.

I have preferably used and never ever had problems with TDK discs whether CD or DVD types for the past 5 years. I have occasionally used Verbatum and was never disappointed.

Any further inputs still welcomed.

Cheers. John.

Did you try enabling the overburn option in K3B? Try this, see if it burns, and then read the disk in another drive later to verify it wrote OK and is readable. At worst, you trash only one disk if it doesn't work. But at least we tried a possibility of getting it working.

It will not burn a 4.6Gb plus a 1.8Gb onto even a dual layer disc saying it cannot burn a file larger than 4.0 so trying overburn can't be tried. It loaded the 1.8Gb but refuses to load the 4.6Gb as you can sse in the attachment. The limit is a 4GB file size max.

Following scarecrows info, I was able to burn three different folders of 4.3Gb each onto the single layer DVD 4.7Gb discs by juggling the files around until the folders were at 4.3Gb each.

So the 4GB thing is still there and it would make no difference if I tried trimming the 4.6GB file down to even 4.3Gb.

See attachment.

Cheers. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

OK, but just out of interest, how big is:

/allmusic/AAAAll-Captures/Documentrys/NSW-State-Schools-Spectacular.mpg

as the screenshot says it's not possible to add files bigger than 4GB. So is this particular file over 4GB on it's own (not including the other files - just this one)?

Yes that is the one that is 4.6Gb on its own. That is why it is still sitting there and not added. It was a continuous broadcast, (no adbreaks..... Australia's ABC......equivalent to BBC) so there is really nothing that can be chopped out without spoiling the show. This shouldn't even have to be necessary to consider doing. I am likely to have similar problems with other captures later. These are HDTV quality broadcasts, hence my activity in this area now. I'd hate to have to buy a commercial Media machine to do capture and burn and since I am very choosy as to what I want to capture and burn, there will not be a lot of shows I want to save so the cost wouldn't really be justified. I got the capture card mostly to convert my video tapings from over 20 or more years, on to DVD before the tapes deteriorated too much. Being able to record HDTV broadcast selections was to be a bonus.

I am forced to use Win2000 again, in the capture process, because Linux programs are just simply next to unusable and now the burning to disc process is proving to be inadequate as well. :wall: :wall: :wall:

Cheers. John

Strange that it won't burn dual layer though. Have you tried using gnomebaker instead? You could install this in KDE, although it would pull some Gnome libraries as well unless you've already got Gnome installed and lying dormant and unused.

I'd suggest trying burning using the CD tools from the command line, but I've no idea on that without having to google and test how to do it - then at least wouldn't require installing any other burning app.

Could it be a limitation of the filesystem used on the CD?

Then just split the file in half, and then burn it all to a dual layer disc.

4.6gb is also very big. Unless it's something like 4 hours long, then I'm sure you can transcode it and make it substantially smaller. How long is the recording?

Thanks Iphitus and Ianw.

I know I could split the file but that is not really the problem and I can do that easily. I have even joined up a number of smaller video segments and they have worked well also. The telecast was 2.5 hrs I think, I know it was well over 2hours. I realize I could also edit the file to cut it back but what I am trying to do is find a solution that is usable for the future. Do you know what I mean

It is simply the fact that during playback, it means that the video has to be restarted to continue the viewing. I know also that that is no big deal but what I am trying to achieve is the same ease of operation one can get in Windows but to do it with Linux only.

I don't understand the transcode thing at the moment so do not even know where to start. Lordy, I envy you blokes sometimes ( not always though :D :D :D )

The dual discs burn AOK with smaller files. Have done some and they work just great, and are excellent on playback.

Cheers. John.

• 2 months later...