Audio system dodgy in 2008

satelliteuser083

My audio-system snaps and crackles permanantly in 2008 :angry: (didn't do it in 2006); apparently this is nothing new. Despite this, it plays well (using audacity, anyway). Some work-arounds do exist, I understand; could someone point me to where they are? Thanks.

Edit: my Tosh Sat Pro 4600 uses an Intel ‎82801BA/BAM AC'97 Audio Controller, the driver-module is ‎snd_intel8x0.

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 2 weeks later...

This may not be your issue but it was for me...although I have a completely different card. There was an option in the volume controls to turn off digital output, and it fixed some sound issues I was having. Again...this may not be your issue at all, but worth taking a look at.

Thanks for the tip. When you say "volume control", do you mean KMix? I can't find any reference to digital output in my Kmix.

I've also looked in MCC -> Hardware -> Soundcard, where I thought that a change of driver might have some effect (currently installed is: ‎snd_intel8x0, alternatives are: ‎ali5455, i810_audio, nvaudio) but I can't find any way of performing such a change, neither im MCC nor in KDE Control Centre. Interesting. :unsure:

I adjusted the settings as you suggested, but quality deteriorated so I reset them. At the moment audio is fine, anyway, only about 50% of the boots does it end up crackling and snapping. Seems to be just luck if it works correctly :huh: Thanks, anyway. :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083

• 2 weeks later...

Have you tried ALSACONF from the console? Does your boot shows any sound issues [FAIL] while booting up in verbose mode/ or logging out? Keep an eye on how many sound cards ALSACONF says you have, like your regular plus a legacy non PnP. Ah...and reboot every time you change sounds settings. I know this is not much but I hope it is a start on your quest for work-around...

Edited by Yaga

Any crackling and snapping effect results from hardware problems from such things as faulty cables, poor connections between plugs and sockets, dickey switches and so on.

You should try cleaning the Jack Plug with Methylated Spirits or white spirit (pure alcohol) and cleaning the Audio cards contacts as well. Check the connections of the speaker cables at both end to ensure they are firm and clean.

It is extremely unlikely to ever be because of driver problems or software.

In Kmix the ideal settings for Vol and PCM is about 90%. This ensures a strong and clean digital signal to the Speaker Amplifier which in turn does not have to have its own volume control turned up too high. The higher the Amp volume level, the closer you move to possible audio distortion. This is not the case with the Vol and PCM in Kmix......Highest settings cannot similarly distort the digital signal itself.

Cheers. John

Edited by AussieJohn