auto-start list [solved]

satelliteuser083

It is possible that you saved a session without closing Firefox, so it launches upon login. I would log out of a session without Firefox being open, and then when you log back in your session should start without Firefox.

I am a KDE user with Mandriva 2005. I have a folder ~/.kde/Autostart/

Thanks. There's also that directory in 2008, but it only contains a file which looks like a config of those apps to be auto-started next time. :D I think that it's overwritten at each shutdown :unsure:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Thanks. There's also that directory in 2008, but it only contains a file which looks like a config of those apps to be auto-started next time. :D I think that it's overwritten at each shutdown :unsure:

Wrong.

These are .desktop files, syntaxed along the freedesktop.org specs, and they are *NOT* overwritten at each shutdown.

Managing this folder is fairly easy, but there's also a thrid party kcontrol module named Autostart

Edited by scarecrow

It is possible that you saved a session without closing Firefox, so it launches upon login. I would log out of a session without Firefox being open, and then when you log back in your session should start without Firefox.

Yes, I've already tried that, which works of course. My problem is, however, that I often forget to close Firefox and, should the network be down the next time that I log in (which happens regularly :angry: ), Firefox starts with all the tabs containg errors. Then I have to go through reloading all of them (often many) :huh: That's why I would like to prevent Firefox from autostarting.

There should be an option somewhere in the KDE Kontrol Center to turn off "Save Session" or whatever KDE calls it, or you should see a checkbox when you go to log out. Disabling this feature will keep KDE from saving session information when you logout. Unless you want that to happen...in which case you'll just have to deal with Firefox auto-starting, as I don't believe there's a way to blacklist programs from autostart.

Yes, I've already tried that, which works of course. My problem is, however, that I often forget to close Firefox and, should the network be down the next time that I log in (which happens regularly :angry: ), Firefox starts with all the tabs containg errors. Then I have to go through reloading all of them

kcontrol/KDE Components/Session Manager/Start with an empty session

Jim

Well, the solution that I've implimented is to save all of the current tabs in a bookmarks-folder and to set Firefox preferences so that it starts with a blank page. Firefox will warn me after the next boot if the network is down and I can correct that, then I just load all of the tabs from the bookmarks-folder. Quite a neat little Firefox-facility, that. :D Thanks to you all for your help. :thumbs:

Sorry, have just noticed a slight error; Firefox preferences are set to start my home-page, not a blank one. :woops:

Edited by satelliteuser083