Uninstalling 2008

satelliteuser083

Only a slight panic, :help: I've just done an update of 2008 over what I thought was a TEST-version of 2006. I'm willing to bet a years wages that I DID select the correct partition, but have now discovered that my WORKING-version has been updated. Now... a VERY long shot... Is it possible to UNINSTALL 2008, i.e. retrieve my working-2006? Thanks.

Edited by satelliteuser083

do you have any problems with your updated 2008, otherwise you could just keep it, 2006 is no longer supported, so you won't get any security updates for this

Well, having smashed my working-2006 I chose the option of installing (not updating) 2008, which is what I'm now using. Thanks for all of your comments. :thumbs:

Now, hopefully this is not the wrong forum, but I'll ask anyway

1) I quite liked KDiskFree in 2006, especially for launching Konqueror, but can't find it in 2008. Is there an equivalent?

2) I also like to cut the internet connection when I'm not using it (who mentioned paranoia? ;) ) but have only been able to do that thus far via MCC, which is far too inconvenient for me. Any tips on getting the connection-icon back onto the taskbar, as was possible in 2006? Many thanks.

Well, having smashed my working-2006 I chose the option of installing (not updating) 2008, which is what I'm now using. Thanks for all of your comments. :thumbs:

Now, hopefully this is not the wrong forum, but I'll ask anyway

1) I quite liked KDiskFree in 2006, especially for launching Konqueror, but can't find it in 2008. Is there an equivalent?

2) I also like to cut the internet connection when I'm not using it (who mentioned paranoia? ;) ) but have only been able to do that thus far via MCC, which is far too inconvenient for me. Any tips on getting the connection-icon back onto the taskbar, as was possible in 2006? Many thanks.

1) It is still there. I'll get to Mandy and then be exact. *My bad. I do not have it! I am looking for why it is not there.

2) Why don't you configure the connection in MCC so that a regular user can manipulate it? Then you can turn it on or off from the desktop.

OK. The latest KDE Utils package apparently does not have the program. So it looks like KDE has changed. I saw some folks making back-ports. Might google and find a tarball to build.

1) It is still there. I'll get to Mandy and then be exact.

2) Why don't you configure the connection in MCC so that a regular user can manipulate it? Then you can turn it on or off from the desktop.

WRT 2) I've tried to find the utility in MCC without success, it must be hidden pretty well ;)

Edit: Sorry to waste your time, have just found the place in MCC :woops:

2nd edit: Have found KDiskFree as well (on the DVD). Many thanks. :thumbs:

Edited by satelliteuser083

Still a few teething-troubles with 2008. :huh: The audio system clicks and crackles permanently - strangely, this varies in volume when the cursor-slider (correct term?) is moved in Firefox - and the pcmcia hot-swapping still doesn't work. pcmciautils is installed but MCC/System/System-services does not contain 'hotplugging' (which 2006 did; perhaps it's no longer necessary?)

Note: have just googled "hotplug mandriva 2008" and discovered a lively discussion about problems with hotplug; would appear to be problematic. Any tips? Thanks.