Sony DRU-500AX DVD Writer

Steve Scrimpshire

I still don't understand what they mean by DVD+RW are not capable of multiple sessions. With growisofs, I was able to burn the intial backup of /mnt/win_c:

growisofs -Z /dev/hdd -R -J /mnt/win_c

and then later add /home/omar to it by doing this:

growisofs -M /dev/hdd -R -J /home/omar

I did kinda read in there that growisofs does something a little different from mkisofs and it's not actually creating a new session, but adding to the old one and that confuses me. :?:

From that warning above, I think what it means is that while DVD+R can have multiple session, it can be problematic if read in older DVD-ROM.

Then again, that warning is a bit confusing. Do you have a DVD+RW disk to try a multiple session DVD burning?

Yes. That's what I used and I can read it fine in the burner. I cannot read it in the old dvd ROM (I couldn't read it when I had only done one session), but I think that is because the old dvd ROM doesn't accept the +R/RW media. I've seen two conflicting sites...one says that the older dvd supports it, another says it doesn't.

After extensive verification testing, I have determined that my older NEC DVD ROM drive just does not read DVD +R/+RW media.

This Sony is DVD Writer is great. I did a backup of 3.9 GB in 20 minutes (That's 3.25 MB/sec, if my calculations are correct).