3D Cursors in Mandrake 9.1: Heads up!

Wriker

I installed the Gold 3D cursor from KDE-Look.org and have experienced some wierd stuff.

My story:

I started off with a Radeon card when I installed it. All seemed to be working fine until I noticed that X occasionally would grab 99% of my CPU and not let go. I thought it migbt be a bug in X so did some exploring. Nothing found. I let it go like this for a while until it started getting worse.

I had been using Blender in my other box but wanted to move it to my more powerful box with the Radeon card. I installed Blender but it would not run for very long. Apparently, it doesn't work with the Radeon cards in Linux (If anyone knows different, please tell me how). So I pulled the GForce card out of the 3D box and installed it on the machine I call Blue. I grabbed the latest drivers from NVidia and went about my business.

Lo and behold the locks ups were still happening. I was a little peeved by this. I was starting to think I would have to drop back to 9.0 (ddin't want to, 9.1 kicks major butt). This is when the light went on in my head and I removed the cursor. No more runaway X and my machines performance jumped considerably. I put the cursor back and it started again.

I'm not knocking the cursor, but I wonder if X is having problems with this. Thought someone might like to know.

Wriker

insteresting, i played with some of the cursor sets, gold, silver, and the tux ones. didn't notice any problems with any of them, although i didn't keep them long as i found that i greatly prefer the default pointer(the tux one is very cute though). I have a nvidia card not a radeon.

Hmm.. if there are more people who have the same problem with 3d cursors in mdk 9.1 no matter what card they use.. why don't you notify the creator of the cursor theme?

I thought that cursor themes are still considered experimental, even in XFree 4.3.

Guest LinuxExplorer

Odd. I've been using one of the two aforementioned themes and I have a Radeon 7500 running at a res of 1600x1200 ever since I installed 9.1 a couple of days after it was released. Honestly, I wish I had some insight on what its doing on your machine, but I don't. Have you tried any of the cursor themes?