Mandriva 2008.0 i586, will it work on x86_64?

Countable

If anyone read my previous topics (about cedega) They will probably realise that i'm about to give up entirely on 64 bit mandriva. Before i do, will it actually work? I've heard little bits about 32-bit mandriva working on 64 bit machines, but i thought i'd ask before i binned it entirely. Anyone care to share some wisdom?

System specs:

Mandriva 2007.0

AMD Turion 64 CPU, 2gHz

1024MB RAM

I have run plenty of 32-bit distros on my 64-bit Core 2 Duo rig.

Maybe I will switch to 64-bit once I get that Quad Core rig with 4GB RAM (else the 32-bit OS will never utilize the full 4G of it), but if you don't have such a rig then using the 64-bit edition is plain trouble-yet.

I'm using an Intel Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 4MB cache, 1GB of ram and a 64 bit OS and have no problems whatsoever. It's a myth that you cannot run 64 bit without problems. There is no trouble whatsoever. I however have upgraded to 4GB of ram since I'm using virtualisation a lot for my work and need the ram.

Maybe there used to be problems, but I don't see any now. And I use java and flash without problems which they were problematic before.

I have no problem running Mandriva 2008 i586 on two 64bit-Systems, one AMD Opteron and a Core2Duo, but I had neither problems running Mandriva 2008 x86-64 on these two systems. I can't wrap it in numbers but 64bit seems to be a bit faster than 32bit and at least my Core2Duo runs about 1° cooler with 64bit.

One problem might be that 64bit-java does not support some java-applets (at least suns jre), swfdec works not perfect but good enough (I can use youtube with it).

btw. you can install 32bit apps on 64bit systems, no problem on Mandriva, you just need the repositories for both 64bit and 32bit, the system will fetch the dependencies for you.

Wine runs like crap, if at all, same goes for Cedega, Java misses plugins and Java Web Start, there's no native Acrobat (only via 32-bit wrapper, which makes it run much slower than natively under 32-bit system), same goes for the official Flash plugin and standalone player, plus a few other things.

All that would be not so significant if the 64-bit OS was offering improved performance. It doesn't, and this isn't a subjective opinion. It's facts and reliable measurements.

I have no doubts I'll be using a 64-bit OS after a couple of years- after all my current Archlinux installation on my main rig will be more than 5,5 years old by then. But for now, I have better ways to get annoyed.

Edited by scarecrow

Strange, since I have no problems with speed with any of those apps? :huh:

Oh, and use VMware Server under 32 bit and 64 bit options, and you'll notice the speed difference, despite VMware being a 32 bit app, it runs better on a 64 bit system. At least for me. It seems we all have differing experiences of 64 bit. For me, it's much better than 32 bit. Oh, I'm using Fedora 8 btw, not Mandy but that shouldn't make a difference I would have thought. Or maybe it could.

Maybe for everyday live/private use 64bit offers no benefit at the moment (but for me using 64 bit did not pose any problems), but when it comes to huge databases, suddenly 64bit might be well worth considering (performance is NOT only speed)

it always depends on what you want to achieve

for adobe reader and flash: there are free alternatives that work (at least for me), oh and these alternatives are available as 64bit packages

Edited by lavaeolus

I have to agree with lavaoleus... big Corporate servers do use 64-bit OSes since quite some time, simply because they do have better performance (especially when handling SQL databases with a few million entries). But this is not the average Joe's case.

kpdf and the rest are fine, but the only pdf reader which supports pdf forms is *still* acroread, and using things like GTalk over http will only work with Adobe's flash at the moment- no matter how much gnash or swfdec have improved, they are still not there.

And if your box is for specific use (for example Digital Audio Workstation) then 32-bit is one way: Using vst(i) plugins under native linux applications requires wine, and using wine under 64-bit will either fail completely, or give you dismal latency figures and tons of xruns.

Perhaps it's certain applications in wine that are the problem then. I'm not using vst plugins, so maybe that is why. I have wine, I use it for a couple of apps, and they work fine, and are certainly not slow like you mention. However, I would not slate something as not completely working, when clearly it does. I'm assuming you were doing something specific with wine which is why you had the problem. I'm not doing anything specific except Internet Explorer which I need for some things, as well as a console app for connecting to firewalls and email appliances. They also work fine and aren't slow.

But each to their own. I would recommend it because it works fine for me. I don't experience the problems you seem to have experienced. Nothing is slow in 64 bit for me.