Evolution doesn't open browser when I click on link in email

Guest tslugmo

Guest tslugmo

I've made the association in the KDE Control Center, but when I click on links in Evolution, nothing happens... :cry:

Any ideas? Running Mandrake 9.1 and KDE.

-tslug

This is from the evolution FAQ

Can I use Evolution with KDE?

Q.: I use the KDE environment, (or CDE, Enlightenment, fvwm, or other window managers) and I would like to use Evolution. Can I use Evolution with other desktop environments?

A.: Yes, Evolution will work well in KDE, but you will need to install the GNOME libraries on which Evolution depends.

The easiest way to install Ximian Evolution without Ximian Desktop is to use Red Carpet. Red Carpet will take care of satisfying all the dependencies, and will make upgrading Evolution much easier. To download Red Carpet for your distribution click here.

Remember that as a GNOME application certain configuration options, such as default fonts and the message editor key binding behavior, will need to be changed using the GNOME Control Center application. You can run GNOME Control Center inside of KDE by running 'gnomecc' from the command line.

Might want to mess around with Gnome a bit and then go back to KDE..

Guest tslugmo

Man, it's so embarassing when you ask a question on a board and it's in the FAQ. Thanks for pointing that out. So when I am in KDE, should I be able to type gnomecc in the console and have that do something? Because nothing happens when I do that. And when you say that I might want to mess around with Gnome a bit, and then go back, do you mean that I should try Gnome and see if I like it better/Evolution works better, or change settings in Gnome and go back to using KDE?

Sorry, I'm brand spanking new at this Linux thing.

-tslug

Yup, what I'm saying is login as gnome, see if yoiu can get it going then switch back to KDE. I don't use evolution so I'm not an expert on it. But it seems based on gnome. When you are using KDE, software can still access gnome resources. It's not one or the other. You just work with the KIDE desktop.

On a personal standpoint, I like Gnome better myself, But that's moot :roll:

Guest tslugmo

Great! Glad you got it! Another way, at least for the first part, would have been as I said above. Open a terminal and run the command;

gnome-default-applications-properties

As far as the second part..I don't have a ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote, but then I'n not running ximian either.

Guest tslugmo

Not trying to argue, since I'm definitely not the expert, but I had changed the settings in gnome-default-applications-properties and this had no effect. Changing the Gnome file worked, though. Anyway, as long as a solution was found, I'm happy. Thanks, all, for your quick responses!

-tslug

• 1 month later...
Guest tslugmo

Ironically, I upgraded my version of Evolution, recently, and after I did, it seemed to forget where to look for the default browser. I repeated the steps I took and nothing worked. Then I changed the gnome-default-applications-properties and it worked! So I guess it just depends on the alignment of the stars or something.

-tslug

you could use the "vi" program

vi ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote

press I to go into "insert" (aka edit) mode

once you've made the changes, press ESC, then :w [enter] to write and then :q [enter] to quit.

galeon "%s" would work fine.

the ~/.gnome/Gnome file-by default-executes ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote

i'm not sure what the option in preferred applications actually changes. it may be this file or it may be something else. if you look at ~/.gnome/gnome-moz-remote you should be able to verify if it's been changed...that is, see if "filename=galeon" instead of "filename=mozilla"

personally, i'd just changed ~/.gnome/Gnome so that default-show=galeon "%s"

this is your best bet, in my mind.