What should I install POP3 server or IMAP. Thanks n/p

Guest kryolla

I would go with IMAP, but that's because I've been using it for 3 years now.

IMAP is server based email, meaning the emails stay on the server, the user only sees the title of the email and he/she chooses what to do with it. It pretty much is safer than POP, as the administrator can do anything to the IMAP server.

POP is client based. The server is the relay point. It just redirects the email from source to destination. In case the destination is not online, the POP server will save the email until the destination comes online and asks for it. The thing is... POP has no filtering inherited. You need other programs/plugins to use filtering etc.

Go with IMAP and learn to use Pine! You'd never change again!

I've tried to set-up Courier-IMAP. I abandonned. UW-IMAP ("imap" package) on the other hand is very easy to setup, to run and to use. Its only drawback (and the reason I was trying Courier) is that you cannot put both subfolders, and messages inside a folder.

• 2 weeks later...

I usually set up both Pop3 and Imap. POP3 for mail clients(outlook, eudora, outlook express) and Imap for SquirrelMail. I use postfix for the MTA and I have never had any problems. I have been kind of busy using MDK as an Exchange 5.5 replacement for allot of clients. They love the ease of admin with webmin and the stability of MDK/Postfix. Then when I fire up Apache and Squirrelmail and they realize they can get mail from anywhere they are astounded. Those that were running OWA (Outlook Web Access) really love the SquirrelMail stability and speed. I haven't had a single complaint. and with 9.1 out its even easier to set up. In fact I get calls from clients that are wanting to convert all their servers to Linux. Most say they are so glad they don't have to reboot the mail server every morning(they were on exchange).

• 2 weeks later...

I also use both POP and IMAP to give my users the choice of what they want (I also squirrelmail for those that want it). There is however another problem with using the IMAP package. It lets the client determine what is a mail folder. This means that if a malicious user/hacker was able to get a hold of your username and password, it is not only your email which is at risk but your complete home directory.

Guest Ptaieb

the best thing about IMAP is that when you travel a lot like me, you do not let your mail lying around in cybercafe, but it stay in the server, so I can use something like squirrelmail, bobomail and other webmail clients to read my mail from anywhere in the world. I have pop only for my girlfriend that use incredimail on win98 at home