euro key

bigjohn

I don't suppose anyone could tell me how to get the euro sign from my keyboard please?

I currently have it set in KDE as generic 105 key (Intl) PC for GB with nodeadkeys.

and the Alt Gr 4 option seems to get me a ¼ sign.

regards

John

This will sound really thick, but apart from using open office and looking there, how would I check? or view a font map (just for info, I use Tahoma from M$ for most things and would have thought that an M$ font would have almost definitely had a euro key)

regards

John

• 2 years later...

No, that doesn't work either. I found in Kcontrol where you can "assign" the euro key to keys e, 5 or 2, but it doesn't work. I guess, my alt-gr does not produce the right code. I tried ctrl-alt (in win 3.11 this used to be the same key code) as a prefix - nope. Could also be due to multiple keyboard layouts, though. But thanks anyway!

I've just checked and tested in OpenOffice Writer:

Default font for me is Nimbus Roman. When I press ALT-GR and 4, I get the euro symbol. If I type in a terminal window, then I just get a question mark :P

I do get a euro in kwrite though. Just using standard British English keyboard layout as far as I'm aware.

Default font for me is Nimbus Roman. When I press ALT-GR and F4, I get the euro symbol. If I type in a terminal window, then I just get a question mark :P

I do get a euro in kwrite though. Just using standard British English keyboard layout as far as I'm aware.

For getting the euro symbol under console, you need to change your system locales to something with the euro symbol, say "en_IE@euro".

If those locales don't exist as Mandriva packages, they have to be generated (it isn't difficult). Just type "locale -a" in a console window and you'll see all locales that are/can be available for that system.

alt-gr+F4 just closes the window :D

I played a bit with layouts. The € (and in fact alt-gr key code) is available only in "intl" variant of en-us. This is type where you don't get (back)ticks and double-quotes immediately, but have to press space bar first. I have not decided yet whether I want that, have to see which other symbols became available.

In the meantime, while looking for €€'s :) I found a place in KControl where I set up fancy keys on for my keyboard, such as voulme up/down, next song, etc. Bingo! that have been bothering me for a while.