Mandriva isn't booting right... help?

momiji

OK so im new to linux even though i have used fedora 6. Ok so first things first. I downloaded Madriva Live cd the 2007 version and i burned it into my CD using BurnCDCC and like procedure i botted into it but the it went crazy on me. it went into command line mode and i was like :\ hu? so im stuck there i dont know it its because i burned it wrong or something. also Ubuntu is doing the same but Kubuntu and Linux XP work fine. Is it because of the hardware or because i burned it wrong.

Thank you in advanced!! Merry X-Mas!!

Momiji

PS. i downloaded the image from the official site.

Edited by momiji

Hello Momiji, and a great big welcome to MUB.

It does sound like a bad burn.

When you burn the CD do it at the slowest speed possible, not on auto.

Did you check the md5sum of the iso when you downloaded it ???.

Please let us know, so if needs be we can try to give further help.

Don't be surprised if replys take a while because most members have a real life, unlike some of us so they are busy with Family, Christmas and stuff.

Cheers and a Happy, safe Christmas. John.

Edited by AussieJohn

First, go to this sight and download the file at the bottom of the page. (Get the free version) Then, use the program to check the iso file. Next, go back to where you downloaded and retreive the file that ends in .md5 This file is a text file containing a long number. The number will match your check if the download was good.

The best ISO burner for windoze (freeware, or commercial) is ImgBurn- and it includes, of course, verification of the burned medium against the disk image.

The reasons it could not load the graphical UI are quite a few... but you have to tell us exactly what you get at your screen - "command line mode and i was like :\ hu?" is not particularly helpful.

well it goes into like Command Line with the black background and the white letters but with the mandriva logo on the bottom right hand corner and it tells me to login into root. from there on i dont know what to do.

What about posting the EXACT symptom- again?

What you describe is a framebuffer console (hence the Mandriva logo at the right bottom) and a login prompt, where you can log as anyone registered at the system - not just root. This is happening with 99.9% probability because your x-server settings are bad.

As said above

type startx and post the errors (the entries starting with (EE) ) from /var/log/Xorg.0.log

We cannot know why distro A worked, while distro B did not. We will just try making distro B to work, but for that we need EXACT reports, and not mumbojumbo.

Edited by scarecrow