filesharing apps?

ezroller

I don't know, it's been awhile since I used it.

A lot of time, the servers are pretty jammed up, and it can be hard to get on one.

Also a lot of them have "minimum shared' requirements you have to meet or you can't get on.

Just keep playing with it, sooner or later you'll get in to something, I'm sure.

The easiest filesharing thing ever, and I have it down to a 2-step process now. Just built a new computer and reinstalled mandrake (preserved /home and /var though) so I had to do this yesterday.

First, make sure you go to plf.zarb.org and add plf as an urpmi source. It's not hard, instructions are on the front page...copy and paste into a terminal.

Step 1. urpmi giFT . That command should pull down the gift-curs interface. More on that in a second.

Step 2. Go to gift.sf.net and hit the download link, then the 'most current' link. It'll give you cvs instructions on how to download the source tree via cvs. Again, it's just a copy and paste into a terminal. Follow the instructions on that page, and in case you miss them, here are the steps to build giFT.

Go into the directory where giFT put it's source tree...type ./autogen.sh and watch the magic. Things may be missing that you'll need installed to continue. If not it'll exit normally and tell you to type 'make' and wait for awhile. Next you'll do the 'make install' (su to root first). There. GiFT is almost installed and ready..but first read the README. It has important info you MUST do first. It basically tells you the name of the script to run to get giFT setup. Follow the prompts and go eat some popcorn.

Ok, so giFT is built, installed, configured, and giFTcurs is installed from plf. What next? Why, open a terminal and type giFT & and hit enter. There's your giFT daemon, now you need to access it. Type giFTcurs and hit enter. Welcome to the wonderful simple world of OpenFT. Have fun.

I used giFT in the past, but recently had a really bad experience with the main developer on IRC. He was exceptionally rude, and basically was an a$$hole to me. so no more giFT for me. not gonna support it.

Lopster is awesome btw, i think this is the app I've been looking for. It connects to the WINMX netwroks apparently, haven't gotten it to do it, but WINMX was the only windows app I have ever missed. If I can get this thing connecting to that, I'll be beyond happy! 8)

DCGUI is really nice and there is a mandrake9.0 rpm somewhere.

The version i am using which works well is here, get both rpms:

http://dcgui.berlios.de/files/dcgui/unstab.../9.0/RPMS/i586/

This looks like the newest version, so will have more features maybe bugs too!, linux app developement progresses at the speed of light it would seem :wink:

http://dcgui.berlios.de/files/dcgui/unstab.../9.0/RPMS/i586/

If you want a dc++ gui client i don't think you'll find better, some dc servers don't allow dc++ clients for some reason but as i have not found a dc client for linux im damn happy with it.

of and i wouldn't worry about the "unstable" part of the directory i have used older versions on 8.2 and i haven't found a serious bug yet!, and the app never crashes.

Your experience may vary, i take no responsibility for users detonating while using this software!

Guest joehill
you can use edonkey too... on www.edonkey2000.com there is a linux client.

hey, someone finally wrote a front end to edonkey! i'm grabbin it right now...

how is it anyway? i haven't been on the donkey since i switched to linux about six months ago.

I have to say though that if yer just looking for a p2p that will grab mp3s you really can't beat napshare.

D'oh! looks like i would need to upgrade EVERYTHING (gtk, pango, glib, etc. etc.) to compile the gui.

ah, well...

i already have the movies i want, except for Millers Crossing, the best movie ever made.

I just got lopster installed on Mandrake9, and it isn't working well at all...jeez, it used to work great when I had 8.2 but I don't think that's the problem, it just won't connect to any decent servers for whatever reason.

This will piss off some people, I know, but I just downloaded WinMX and installed it and ran it with wine, and it works perfectly. Quick connection, and over 400 replies to my search for Procal Harem's "Whiter Shade of Pale".

Why dontcha try THAT, ezroller? :wink: