Mandriva 2008 freezes after booting

Guest thr33finger

Guest thr33finger

So I have installed Mandriva One 2008. The live CD works fine, after I install leaving all default answers i get to the boot loader and choose linux. then the loading screen comes up and....nothing. frozen. So i pressed escape and this was the error:

Creating root device

No resume device specified

Trying userspace resume from suspend.conf file

No resume device in suspend.conf

echo: cannot open /sys/power/suspend2/do_resume for write:2

echo: cannot open /sys/power/tuxonice/do_resume for write:2

Mount: error 6 mounting ext3 flage defaults

well, retrying read_only without any flag

Mount: error 6 mounting ext3

switching to new root

ERROR opening /dev/console !!!! :2

unmounting old /proc

unmounting old /sys

switch root :mount faild :22

initrd finished

Kernel Panic - not syncing : attempted to Kill init !

I searched around and what i have found so far is this, I loaded it up, got to boot screen and pressed esc, then c for the command line grub>. I then typed in grub> find /sbin/init and it returns hd 1,0. This is where i get lost. I understand i think that the grub was installed on a particular partition but something I did at some point changed the boot order or something to that effect. But this is where I get lost, What do i do next? thanks for any help in advance.

What do i do next? thanks for any help in advance.

Hi and welcome on board

The simplest and fastest solution are to try all over again.

Because if this is your first install, you proberly don't loose anything by doing that.

Merry Christmas

Welcome aboard. :)

And ...umm... can you please tell us about the partitions you have set up? How many? Is there more than one harddisk (I guess so, as hd1,0 would be your second harddisk) and which type of harddisks do you use (PATA/SATA)?

Guest thr33finger

I'm at work at the moment so I cannot do any commands but, I have 2 hd's an 80gb one with xp on it and a 160gb one which I wish to place mandriva on. I stayed with the default options selected from the installer so I believe there are 3 partitions on the drive I'm installing mandriva on. the ext3, swap and home partitions. Also I am using a SATA drive. I also have an external HDD which I will mount later but first I just need to get linux working normally.

On a side note when I did the install I used the live cd and did the install from the icon on the desktop. I was originally a little weirded out because I tried to follow the install tutorial on this site, but it uses the dvd and not the cd, and it never asked me to set up a password for root or user accounts or anything. I am currently downloading the dvd at home and will try that tonight. Unless someone tells me otherwise before the day is over that that would be a waste of time and I can fix this.

Well, from what you posted, the only thing I can think of is that the system probably set up a bootloader configuration with wrong harddisk-specifications. PATA disks are usually labelled hd0, hd1, hd2, etc, while SATA disks are labelled sd0, sd1, sd2, etc. Thus, if your bootloader is on hd0 and tries to access the partitions from your sd0 drive, then you will need to edit the /boot/grub/menu.lst file of your system - or edit the grub entry temporarily when the bootloader shows up. Grub can be edited instantly. Just press a key at the bootloader screen and follow the instructions. Replace the hd0 with sd0 entries and give it a try. If it doesn't work - no problem. The change was only temporary. The default configuration won't be touched until you edit menu.lst.

PS: although everything can be fixed using the ONE version, it is (imho) useful to have the dvd available as it has a rescue mode built in (which lets you e.g. restore the linux and the windows bootloaders).

Please use the dvd. I have seen this arise with One. Although it may be a user problem, it must be an unclear prompt with the One installer; otherwise people would not be reporting this glitch.

use "boot mandriva in safe mode" option. at the command prompt initiate x windows by using startx. you will then have a GUI and you will be logged in as root. go to mandriva control centre. add some users. logout and reboot.