can't install mandriva 2008 :( [solved]

srikar_vnr

I can't see any Rar files on that link. Tell us which country you selected from the dropdown, everything I see is ISOs.

UNLESS maybe you're using Windows, you're downloading an ISO, but you've told Windows you want to hide the file suffix and you have ISOs associated with a program like WinRar which gives them an icon like a Rar... that could be it.

Look at the file you downloaded, and tell us exactly the filename and the size of the file you downloaded, including the extension.

Also check the md5sum of the file you downloaded to make sure it's ok.

Then make sure you're burning the ISO file as an image and not just copying the ISO to the CD. And don't "extract it", just burn a CD using the ISO as an image. What program are you using to burn the CD?

There is no doubt about it. You are unpacking an iso. You do NOT, I repeat do NOT unpack an iso.

You make sure that your burner program burns the iso to disc as an iso.

No matter that your Windows is screwing up the title of the download, it is still an iso download.

It can't be put any simpler than that.

Neddie has explained it very clearly.

Cheers. John.

yeah the windows was showing the iso file as a rar file.

when you say"it was SHOWING it as a RAR file"

are you saying that graphically the ICON is showing as a RAR type file?

because if thats what you mean than so far you have everything you need, but as suggested before you DONT need to UNRAR it before you burn it.

if you tell us what cd burner your using we can probably walk you through burinng an image.

personally although i have tried kubu and MDV i always keep coming back to MDV, for ME, the tools that you need are located in much more logical ways and appear to be more traditionally linux standard than kubu.

the one thing i DO like about KUBU over MDV is that they have a GOOD set of tools to allow yuo to "roll your own" with good documentation.

where as MDV just made so many upgrades w/ 2008 that what USED to work, doesnt.

there are several small groups of folks world wide ttyin to come up w/ some alternatives, but as im sure you can imagibne w/o good docs its VERY slow and hard work,

j

Winrar is by default associated with iso files, as told before...

If you extract the "rar" (which factly is an ISO) and burn it to CD, then you end up with a useless coaster. Simply use a good windoze app (e.g. ImgBurn- exhellent and free) and burn the iso directly to CD- NO EXTRACTION.

Kubuntu is clearly the worst of the many *buntu flavors... I can suggest many fine+easy to use Linuxes using KDE (Sidux, PCLinuxOS, Mepis, Mint, Mandriva... just not Kubuntu), which will give you an easy time. Ubuntu has an exhellent Gnome utilization, PCLinuxOS excels with KDE, Zenwalk is the ultimate XFCE4 for dummies... each one on its own.

Edited by scarecrow