Help! Warped display

iphitus

Hi

I have just happily installed MDK9.0 and everything is functioning perfectly except the monitor.

I can see everything fine just it curves off at the top

Kind of like this.....

/               /

/

|            |

|            |

|            |

|____________|

Will post a .png soon

The above is a little exagerrated but it gives the idea

I have the 'panel up the top and it is the only thing really affected.

The controls on the monitor can't help.

The installation detected my graphics card and monitor correctly

I didn't have this problem with MDK8.2

I did a fresh install as i lost my MDK8.2 install

I have a Hp Pavillion M50 monitor

And the graphics card is an ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP1x/2x

Thanks in advance

James

Guest Stumbles
Hi

I have just happily installed MDK9.0 and everything is functioning perfectly except the monitor.

I can see everything fine just it curves off at the top

Kind of like this.....

<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> _________________<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->/               /<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->             /<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> |            |<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> |            |<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> |            |<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin--> |____________|<!--QuoteEBegin--><!--QuoteEBegin-->

Will post a .png soon

The above is a little exagerrated but it gives the idea

I have the 'panel up the top and it is the only thing really affected.

The controls on the monitor can't help.

The installation detected my graphics card and monitor correctly

I didn't have this problem with MDK8.2

I did a fresh install as i lost my MDK8.2 install

I have a Hp Pavillion M50 monitor

And the graphics card is an ATI 3D Rage Pro AGP1x/2x

Thanks in advance

James

You might want to check the horizontal and vertical refresh rates in /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.

Can you post a link to an actual screenshot?

How about trying a modeline?

http://koala.ilog.fr/cgi-bin/nph-colas-modelines

Try to (#) out

Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

so that it's

#Load "v4l" # Video for Linux

Could also try making

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubsection

Subsection "Display"

Depth 16

#Modes "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"

Modes "800x600" "640x480"

EndSubsection

>then restart the xserver with Ctrl>Alt>Backspace, just to see what another res will do.

Have you tried changing the vetical and horizontal refresh rates?

A screen shot is only getting the info from your computer before it gets to the monitor. Your monitor is not showing the info for a gui correctly.

What have you tried changing to make it work?

Guest JaseP

As the others have said, you need to set modelines in you XF86Config files (regular and -4).

The problem is that in Linux, you need to give specific information telling the video card how to display. There are not just verticle and horizontal refresh rates to deal with, but also some phase adjustments that need to be done to get it "just right." There are some places where you can get some standard modelines. Setting the refresh rates within your monitor's parameters will help, because the X-windows system will then pick the right modelines that fall within the specified refresh rates and resolution and color depth settings.

Guest RedBear

The X configuration programs should be able to set things up so they just work. This isn't 1992 for Pete's sake. And like he said, 8.2 worked fine.

This may or may not be related, but I also have an ATI (Rage Mobility P) card in my laptop. A lot of ATI cards have strange quirks. After updating from 9.0 to cooker, which included XFree86 4.3.0rcwhatever, I had a really odd set of problems with my screen and found that I could really only run in VESA mode. (As a last resort you can almost always set up X to use the VESA compatible driver, it can display up to at least 1280x1024 with 16bit color, but it's non-accelerated so it's much slower than an accelerated driver.)

What fixed me was installing the GATOS drivers on top of the regular install of XFree86. They don't have a package for installing so I just untarred the archive in the /usr/XFree86 directory per the instructions. After restarting X, everything was back to normal for me, using the ati driver. Hardware acceleration and everything. So you may want to try this if nothing else works. Just back up your /usr/XFree86 folder before you do anything to it.

The other thing that solved part of my display problem even *before* I installed the GATOS drivers was to disable the graphical framebuffer (all that cute stuff that comes up when you boot MDK.) You can turn that off in Mandrake Control Center, under Boot Options.

You can find the GATOS drivers at http://gatos.sourceforge.net

Good luck.

The X configuration programs should be able to set things up so they just work. This isn't 1992 for Pete's sake. And like he said, 8.2 worked fine.
I have to agree. Others have had similar problems:

http://www.mandrakeusers.org/viewtopic.php...0&highlight=ati

A good idea is to report a bug in http://bugs.xfree86.org/ but this could very well be a mandrake specific bug since LM8.2 worked fine.

Hi

I have noticed that Windows says my Graphics Card is a ATI 3D Rage Pro. It is AGP. Linux says its a ATI Mach64 Utah or at least along those lines - i'm in Winblows now so i can't check.

Looking in my manual it says the graphics card is a ATI Rage Pro AGP 3D.

Maybe this is the problem............

rcxau

//Update: i'm sure its a ATI 3D RAGE PRO (DirectX), The Manual and Winblows say it is..............

I can't even fine a driver for Linux or Winblows on the ATI Website

it has them for: 3D Rage, Rage Pro but not 3D Rage Pro.

I know the card is an ATI card

I have noticed that Windows says my Graphics Card is a ATI 3D Rage Pro. It is AGP. Linux says its a ATI Mach64 Utah or at least along those lines - i'm in Winblows now so i can't check.  

Looking in my manual it says the graphics card is a ATI Rage Pro AGP 3D.  

Maybe this is the problem............

Please post the output of the commands:
cat /proc/pci | grep VGA

lspcidrake -v -f | grep VGA

Also, look into the file /etc/X11/XF86Config-4.