Windows Mandriva booting [solved]

AussieJohn

Situation.

Installed a LeadTek DTV2000H Video capture card. Said by LinuxTV to be a Linux compatible card.

NONE of the applications in Mandriva-Spring work in any way. To say they are hopeless is to put it mildly

I installed anything that had DVB or TV or Vcr in it. Zilch.

I then decided to install Windows2000 on an IDE 80Gb disk that I installed just for this purpose. My Mandriva-Spring and Mandriva2008 are solely on two SATA II 120gb HDDs.

I have Grub bootloader installed on sda (Spring) and sdbhas 2008. I can select either with no trouble at all.

Grub looks like the following:-

timeout 10
color black/cyan yellow/cyan
gfxmenu (hd0,4)/boot/gfxmenu
default 0

title Mandriva2007-Spring
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-17.uc1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva2007-Spring root=/dev/sda5 splash=silent pci=nomsi vga=791
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.17-17.uc1mdv.img

title memtest-1.70
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/memtest-1.70.bin BOOT_IMAGE=memtest-1.70 root=/dev/hda1 

#title windows
#root (hd0,0)
#map (0x81) (0x80) (none of this works hence it is stated out) This was produced by both Mandrivas.
#map (0x80) (0x81)
#makeactive

title Mandriva-2008
kernel (hd1,4)/boot/vmlinuz-2.6.22.14-desktop586-1.uc1mdv BOOT_IMAGE=Mandriva-2008 root=/dev/sdb5 splash=silent vga=791
initrd (hd1,4)/boot/initrd-2.6.22.14-desktop586-1.uc1mdv.img

title failsafe
kernel (hd0,4)/boot/vmlinuz BOOT_IMAGE=failsafe root=/dev/sda5 failsafe splash=silent pci=nomsi
initrd (hd0,4)/boot/initrd.img

title Windows2000
root (hd0,0)
chainloader +1   This is the usual text when dual booting on IDE Harddrives only.

I think I can see the problem namely that Spring is shown as hd0 and 2008 is shown as hd1, while windows is also shown as hd0 which it cannot be because it is on a different Hardrive (IDE) whereas the two Mandrivas are on SATA hardrives.

I can boot into Windows by going into the bios and changing the booting order and have setup the LeadTek Drivers and applications AOK.

It works extremely well and I have even captured some VCR programmes on to Hard Drive already.

One of them was the last 2.5 hours of the satellite connected broadcast of the Americas CUP race that won the Cup for Australia and thus finally broke the historically long American hold on the Cup. It plays back better than from the VCR itself. I have shifted the captures into Mandriva to edit and burn to DVD.

Can anyone suggest what the boot text should be for this situation ???. Obviously the Windows2000 bootloader is on the IDE Hard Drive whereas the Mandriva Grub bootloader is on sda catering to both Mandrivas.

All of this was prompted by wanting to capture the HD broadcast of the NYE Sydney Fireworks Display so I can DVD it to send to some dear friends in the USA.

Since I will be pulling the IDE drive out when I finally get some workable Linux capture program finally running, I don't really want to put Grub on the MBR of the IDE drive.

I am sure there is a solution to the present setup, I just don't know what it is.

Cheers. John

[moved from Software by spinynorman]

Hi John

I'll try to help you in my pour english.

In Grub the harddrives are numbered after the boot sequence, and if you under goes in to the BIOS, you should be able to see in which order, your drives are booted.

If you know the names on your hardrives, you'll be able to figure out which harddrive is the one with Mandriva Spring, it should be the first to boot, and if your "new" harddrive with Mandriva is the last installed, it proberly are the last one to boot.

And GRUB counts from zero, as you can see in your menu.lst, so my offer will be, that the harddrive with Win2000 should be named hd2

Try to write this in menu.lst.

I really hope this make any sence to you, if you were from Denmark it would be easier for my to explain :D

Thank you ORTS.

You make perfect sense. I tried changing the (hd0.0) part of Windows to (hd1,0) and also to (hd1,4) but it still doesn't work yet I am afraid.

However the response seems to be in the right direction judging by the resulting messages. I will experiment more following your idea.

Your English is great, :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs: better than my total lack of Danish. :D :D :D

I am still open to other contributions, everyone.

I am currently in 2008 and finding that some of the possible capture applications come close to working, but are extremely primitive, but which just don't work at all in Spring.

Cheers. John.

Aye, try that one:

# (2) Win2K
title Win2K
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
map (hd0) (hd1)
map (hd1) (hd0)
makeactive
chainloader +1

It's a little bit different than your autogenned Mandriva entry... and it used to work for me.

Since Grub is seeing sda and sdb as hd0 and hd1 respectively, would it not see the third hard drive (where win2k resides) as hd2? That would make the mapping entries:

map (hd0) (hd2)

map (hd2) (hd0)

It's a long time since a booted a windows system and so I could be "out to lunch" on this. :)

Jim

My sincere thanks to Orts, Scarecrow and Jimkerr. :thumbs: :thumbs: :thumbs:

Due to the three of you, you put me on the right path.

At first the recent suggestions did not work when I added Jims idea into Scarecrows suggestion.

I then decided to change the rootnoverify from (hd0,0) to (hd2,0).

The final setup that worked is as shown:-

title Windows-2000

rootnoverify (hd2,0)

map (hd0) (hd2)

map (hd2) (hd0)

makeactive

chainloader +1

Did a reboot and wham straight into Windows no problems.

One problem down. One more to go (related to 2008.1alpha)

At least my problem can be marked SOLVED :thumbs:

Cheers. John.