Keyboard on laptop stopped working! [solved]

Zdravko Nedic

Hello, I would appreciate if somebody can help me.

I run Mandriva 2008 on Fujitsu Siemens laptop, and once my system blocked. I turned laptop off, then again on, booted the Mandriva, but my keyboard stopped working (mouse is working fine). When I enter safe mode in Linux, my keyboard is working fine, in console, and in X environment. It is working in Windows on same machine, and during the boot, so the only place where it is not working is when regular boot is performed, and X server loaded. I could not check if it is working in console after regular boot, because I do not know how to get there by mouse (it is not working in Konsole shell).

Can somebody tell me how to reset a keyboard driver (if it is possible), and repair my keyboard without reinstalling Mandriva.

Thank you...

Hello there, from your description it sounds like your xorg.conf has been hosed a little. I'm not sure about your experience with Linux, but if you start up in safe mode (be careful here as you are logged in as root ), type the following at the command prompt

less /etc/X11/xorg.conf [enter]

you should see the contents of your xorg.conf.

Page up and down until you see the section something similar to

Section "InputDevice"
Identifier "Keyboard1"
Driver "kbd"
Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
Option "XkbLayout" "gb"
Option "XkbOptions" "compose:rwin"
EndSection

If you have a section similar to the above scroll to the end of the file and look for the following

Section "ServerLayout"
Identifier "layout1"
InputDevice "Keyboard1" "CoreKeyboard"
InputDevice "Mouse1" "CorePointer"
Screen "screen1"
EndSection

If either of the sections are fowled up particularly the input section you will need to put it right. If you are comfortable with editing the xorg.conf file then do so, reboot and you should have a working keyboard which you can fine tune later. If you do not know how to edit files from the command line then post back stating so.

Edited by SilverSurfer60

I'm not too sure on this, but one thing you can try is boot into safe mode at the command prompt type

init 3 [enter]

and see if your keyboard is still working by logging in with your normal login name and password at the next command prompt. If that is successful then your problem would seem to be with KDE. I'll need to think about it a bit more. Post back with your results.

• 6 months later...
Guest Dinterge

I just experienced a similar problem with a fresh install of Mandriva 2006 Spring. Keyboard just stopped working. I can logout and it works. But when I login it is gone. I tried the other things mentioned in this thread but everything seems fine. Anybody know what happened?