successfully switching to linux --comments please!

aRTee

As you may know, I'm working on my website, and last week I got inspired to write something about how to avoid a problematic transition to linux, wasting time etc.

Basically, I'm trying to make my website into something like a guide, mostly aimed to mdk users, but (I think) with a lot of info for anyone new to linux (or even not using linux but curious about it);

it currently looks like a 'book' with the chapters

home (intro) - (to appear, see below) successful switching - acquiring linux - installation - configuration - console (more in depth) - links (will be revamped soon) - howtos (that I really have to work on..)

If people want to start with linux, I have found that it is not good to pass them the cd's and a link to an install review.

So here is my take on what people should consider before switching, what they should investigate etcetc..

Please tell me how you like it, how it comes across. Am I making sense or not? Am I downright mistaken about things?

Does this lack important comments?

Successfully making the transition to GNU/Linux

Ready for the desktop?

Some people believe that linux is not for the desktop. However, the stream of reports of people successfully deploying linux on their (home or office) desktop is more and more outweighing the number of reports of people who tried but moved back to their former platform.

If, after a lot of trouble with a setup, that in the end only works partially, and that in an unexpected or undesired way, people turn away from GNU/linux and the mere mention of Free/Open Source Software and/or GNU/linux gives them a sour taste in their mouths, this is fully understandable.

After all, what is more frustrating then putting in a lot of effort only to find it was a waste of time.

I believe, to avoid a non-successful move to linux, the following aspects are of often underestimated importance:

motivation to move to linux

expectations of the transition itself and of the results

preparations

I will discuss these points in more detail below.

Motivation to move to linux

It would be impossible to give an exhaustive list of all the right and wrong reasons to move to linux. I will therefore just mention some points that, in my

honest opinion, are some of the wrong and some of the right reasons to move to linux.

The major wrong reason is:

- because it's free

Well, I have news for you: it's not. Unless your time is free. It takes effort, perseverance, time, and even money (unless your internet connection is free); you may have to buy some magazines and books to cover your needs.

Is this a bad thing? No. Your hobbies cost time. Playing a game on your computer costs time. You may regard fiddling with linux a hobby, and playing with your computer. Two for the price of one, if you like.

Of course, if you don't like to fiddle with your computer, but just want to do some simple things that are known to be simple with linux (email, webbrowsing, writing and printing a letter), you can have someone else who is in-the-know check your system out, and do the transition (installation, configuration) for you.

Another wrong reason:

- because you want MS or Bill Gates to go bankrupt

Apart from the fact that that is a pretty petty goal for a single person (even though a lot of single persons add up to many), it's not likely to happen anytime soon. Ok, this reason is more my opinion than anything else, but in any case, I feel it's not from something negative that loads of positive things are going to come.

A third wrong reason:

- because you want to prove that actually, your current platform is better, but were silenced before because you had never tried GNU/linux

OK, I just made this up, but it seems that many stories of people who 'tried but had to give up for unsurmountable problems' might fall into this category..

The right reasons to switch to linux include:

no license hassles, no illegal software

to support open source (yes, the crazy thing is that you are a supporter by just using it

you have old (but supported) hardware but still want a modern OS

no viruses, trojans, spyware

inherent security

mature selection of fileystems, including journalised ones

true multiuser, multitasking

a stable system (double meaning: normally, linux is not crash prone, and it doesn't just behave differently for no reason

because it's fun

Notes:

- with old hardware, you can use linux, but you will have to pass on some of the nice graphical eyecandy (don't use KDE, use icewm or so)

- about viruses, trojans and spyware: those who have a decent understanding of linux/security tend to agree that viruses are possible, but that the complexity and implementation of a successful linux virus is not within reach of those who waste their and other peoples time at this moment making viruses for other more used desktop platforms. I.e. not impossible, proven in laboratory conditions, but not likely to be as effective and easily spreading as current viruses for more popular platforms.

Another point I'd like to add here is that it is commonly (wrongly) accepted that the major desktop platform is the prime target for virusmakers because it's the major platform. It is the prime target because it is the most used desktop platform AND because the alternative, to attack the major internet server platform is so much more difficult. To all those who are not aware, the major internet server platform type is *nix, including *bsd and linux. 

Expectations of the transition itself and of the results

What people obviously expect, is to have a more or less working system, that at least lets them do the 'normal, standard things' that they do with their computer. The secret hope of course, is that everything works perfectly, after the install and first reboot, without any fiddling.

Just as the brochure promised.

Allow me to list some things commonly expected:

installing GNU/linux is just as easy as installing windows

I don't have to know what's in my machine to install linux

I can always read the manual later, for now I'll just try, push some buttons

linux will autodetect, initialise and configure all my hardware correctly

people on the web (newsgroups, forums etc) are going to help me if I tell them how much it sucks because it doesn't work how it should

linux has a graphical user interface, just like windows (or any other gui-capable platform), so it will work the same

linux is Open Source and very configurable, so it can be what I want it to be

linux is so stable and secure, I don't have to backup anything

I don't need to learn how to use linux, it must come naturally

if it's so hot, I don't need to prepare anything, it should be like a car that drives itself

since linux is so stable, none of the programs that run under it should crash (yeah, right..)

there should be a free well-functioning equivalent of any program that I currently use (or else linux as a platform is bad)

Actually, through what I know/ have learned about linux, most of these points are valid for me... Before installing on a new system, I have gone through the things mentioned below in the preparations section.

Naturally, many of these points can be false, and who gets the blame? Follow the hints in the preparation section on how to get your feet on the ground and your expectations in the realm of 

Preparations

I'm not talking about preparations in the sense of: before inserting the first installation cd, I'm talking about preparations in the sense of: think this thing over, talk with some people in the know, check out how other people managed. Remember I talked about this not being free, at least in the sense that it takes time? Well, here you go.

So, get your needs clear in your head, get your wishes straightened out. The following things can help you to get a good picture of what to expect:

check what hardware you have (either by checking the settings in your current platform, or by opening your machine, or even both)

ask people in-the-know if they know if your hardware is well supported

do a search for hardware compatibility on the web, on linux sites, check the Mandrake database

check (and even subscribe to) a forum, for instance the Mandrakeusers.org forum and use the search function to find out if people are experiencing problems with your hardware. (Note that people who have the same hardware but no problems generally don't post.) If necessary, ask if anyone sees any problem with your hardware (and which software they advice for certain functions that are not so mainstream as webbrowsing).

read linux sites, newbie sites such as this. More links in the links section.

on your current platform, use programs that you will be able to use under linux too: mozilla for web and mail, OpenOffice.org for your office needs. GIMP for photo/image editing. This way, you will have the same programs at your disposal under linux.

As for hardware support, the most annoying things that can happen are:

that your modem/ethernet is not properly detected/configured, which means you can't go on the internet

that your graphics card is not properly detected/configured, so you have no gui

Ready for linux?

If you have thought about the challenge, if you are ready to try something new, you might just be ready for linux. So continue reading here on how/where

to get it.

Hey, thanks for reading all the way!!

Now hit that reply button and give me your feedback!

It sounds pretty good overall. Nice work.

In the don't section, you say "Because it is free." -- this could confuse people who consider Linux because they're constantly hearing about it being "free" (as in free speech) ... so you might want to add a disclaimer of the "free beer, free speech" type.

While I agree with your point about it being petty wanting B. Gates to go bankrupt, I'm going to be petty until the end of my days (even though I know it is never going to happen) --- I have three personal friends who were wiped out financially by Gates and Co's business practices (stealing their ideas outright, announcing vaporware that kept people from buying their software, etc.)

qnr,

thanks!! Exactly why I posted here first, I knew I would take things for granted...

I will put in an explanation of 'free speech' etc..

About being petty for wanting MS/BG bankrupt,.. I don't know how that comes across, I don't want to sound to harsh/blunt,... I just don't want my site to seem like a site from and for people that just like to bash MS...

I don't mind if you want to see MS bankrupt, if it motivates you to get out the word about linux and help people out etcetc...

My personal take: I think the MS monopoly must be broken. All that I can do about it is not use any MS products and help other people to do likewise.

I inform them about it on one hand, and help them move to linux on the other.

This site is the 'other' hand. It seems people like it, I have had 1000 hits since I started a month ago... pretty good. (The counter counts ip addresses, so it's not like I am upping the counter by hitting reload..)

I will (time permitting... ;) ) at some point put up a site for the 'one' hand, probably just link to any reasonable (non-vulgar, serious) piece about why the MS monopoly is bad, should be broken asap etcetc.

I've been collecting links and data for the last year or so.. but I wanted to concentrate on the more positive, building up kind of thing.....

But maybe I should rephrase, and just put that moving to linux from windows helps on the scale of things, so the monopoly can be broken in time... (which is a better goal than to want to see MS bankrupt.... who knows, without a monopoly they might even become innovative...!! ;) )

Guest JaseP

I think you should mention that most people start using Linux by buying distributions, so that Linux often doesn't translate into being free as in "free beer" for that reason, but that most distributions come with just about all the software a person ordinarily needs for everyday use, so for $39 - $70 (US), they can have a fairly complete system.

But you should point out that for people who have been forced into upgrading their system and OS in order to keep up with doing everyday tasks, Linux offers the alternative of being free as in "free speech" in that with Linux, you will never have to be forced into upgrading something for big $$$ just because someone wants to make it so. If M$ decides to upgrade Word, then everyone has to get the upgrade for Word. If you use OpenOffice, you can download the new version for free and be up to date, and also edit the program code, if you are able and inclined, to accomplish a specific task.

Ok, I'll put that in one of the reasons for using linux, you get a distro and are done with paying.

I already changed some things (that are not in the above text), like putting in the advantages of no-lock-in, no single supplier etcetc.

I'll put in free downloads/upgrades too, and open standards so no forced upgrades in that respect...

Thanks for your comments. Keep 'em coming ;)

I think you should mention that most people start using Linux by buying distributions, so that Linux often doesn't translate into being free as in "free beer" for that reason, but that most distributions come with just about all the software a person ordinarily needs for everyday use, so for $39 - $70 (US), they can have a fairly complete system.

Correct me if I'm very wrong here, but I got the impression that most people that want to try out linux (as in first time experience) downloads the first distribution. This is of course only for the people that have access to a broadband internet connection. Considering the fact that different people finds different distributions to be the best for them it would be quite expensive to buy many distributions just to try them out.

My personal advice is, download different distributions and try them out. If you like one and sticks to it, then consider buying it to support the development.

Linx, I agree, and that is what I advice people on my website -- try the complete version before you buy. If you buy at all.

This article is intended to get people to think things over, and prepare well.

To use linux is one thing, to properly install and configure is another.

Most can do the first without any problem, the latter is more problematic...

I'm just sick and tired of reading articles about how great and easy linux is and then articles about how much it sucks.

Both opinions are fully valid, but the people in the latter group could most likely have avoided all trouble just by thinking things over, for instance guided by my article....

There are plenty of caveats for new or aspirant linux users, and one of the most important things is to make them see that it's perfectly ok that linux is not windows, nor that it should be.

Many overly positive articles about switching to linux from windows or osX are done by people who either had good guidance, got lucky, had the right mindset (thinking out of the box) or whatnot.

Many negative articles, about how linux is userunfriendly, isn't ready for the desktop etc are by people who completely 'voilated' (parts of) one or more of the three main points I discuss: motivation, expectation, preparation.

If you are off on any of these in a major way, linux is bound to disappoint you.

I don't want to scare people into using/ moving to linux, but too many don't have their feet on the ground, finally resulting only into becoming linux bashers, and from where they stand, they're not even wrong....

Most of all, I want people to realise that linux has lots to offer, but they have to have an open mind.... that's why I hammer on the point of linux not being free as in free beer, it costs!

But this is not a bad thing, everybody easily forgets that getting to use windows or osX also does not come automatically.

BTW I'm also working on a page debunking the Myth of userfriendlyness or lack thereof in linux vs windows (and yes, for day to day use and administration linux is, for me at least, way more userfriendly than windows)... more about that later...

Anyhow, any more comments?

Sometime this week I will post the current version of the article here, it's just been updated slightly, partially as a result of the comments here.

Correct me if I'm very wrong here, but I got the impression that most people that want to try out linux (as in first time experience) downloads the first distribution.

I would say that quite a few people were introduced to GNU/Linux thanks to a CD bundled with a magazine or book.

Guest JaseP

A lot of others get it from a CD burned by a friend...

I personally like having manuals, supporting Linux distribution makers, and don't have either broadband or a CD burner.

There are a lot of people like me, and that's why the "lite" distributions sell (Mandrake personal edition, etc.).

What many people who are new to Linux don't realize is that the more expensive distribututions (Power Pack, etc.) usually have enough stuff built into them to run a small IT department with little else.

That may be a nice thing to bring up for those who are fond of pointing out that the power pack and pro versions of distros are often close in price to OEM copies of XPee.

Good points, but I treat this on another page, acquisition, so no need to go in detail in this article. Nonetheless, I will add that comment that powerpacks really are that: powerpacks... ;)

I'm currently getting ready to put this on the web,... guess OSnews posts anything lately, so why not this... :)

Or should I go for some zdnet site??

In any case, I would like to get this on sites that are (also) oriented towards windows users, for people on linux sites this advice may just come too late..

What do you guys (and girls) think?

For all those who missed it, my page just got linked on PCLO and LinuxToday.

Strange that Eugenia from OSnews didn't link to it,... she seems to link to everything else....

Next: where can I try to get the article linked for people who may be interested but are not using linux (yet), so who may not visit pclo or lt..?

Any hints or tips?

Because its free.

I think for the home user Linux is really pretty much free. Like you said, a little time and effort. While updates are increasignle becoming a paid for commodity, going around this is pretty easy.

In the corporate environment, it not since your nto going to be allowed to deploy anything w/o "official support" and automation is more important.

Yeah, I just posted to /.

See if they place it. (BTW would be fun if my provider would get /. due to my site,... but they host thousands of sites, and have pretty good systems/setups,.. debian linux)

I got more than 3000 hits in less than 2 days.

Until then I only had 1850 hits...

Ral, I'm not sure what you are saying,.... my article is intended to help people determine what they may get out of linux, and yes, I have addressed the point of being free...

What companies do depends on their policy makers, who will only cave once their bottom line gets affected, which is money. And the more stories about savings with linux, the better; the more their competitors gain an edge through savings with linux, the better. This is happening in a way that is not so visible, but it is happening.

Anyhow, it is not something that I can do something about in a single article....

BTW read the final version here:

http://www.mandrake.tips.4.free.fr/switchsuccess.html

I'm just sick and tired of reading articles about how great and easy linux is and then articles about how much it sucks.

agree !

generaly speaking i agree with what you say in your site. so it must be good ;-)

roland