what services do i need running for a desktop system?

Guest jamesgf

Guest jamesgf

Hello all, i recently installed mdk9.1 and was wondering what services should be running. The system is used only as a desktop, no server needed. Its used for office work, music, games, and web surfing. Id like to turn off any services that are not needed to free up resources.

Here are the services currently running:

apmd

atd

crond

cups

devfsd

dm

fam

harddrake

internet

keytable

kheader

linuxconf

lisa

netfs

network

nfslock

partmon

portmap

random

rawdevices

sound

switchprofile

syslog

tmdns

webmin

xfs

xinetd

all on boot. I am using alsa and noticed that it isnt started on boot, should it be? my sound works fine during startup.

thanks!

-jamie

This is one of the most popular questions ever.

Webmin doesn't really need to be running at boot. It's useful mainly for networked computers...administration kinda stuff. Same with linuxconf. As for the others, you can click 'info' in MCC to see more about what they do and decide whether you want them running. If you have 128 MB RAM or more, the optional services don't really use enough system resources to really worry about.

I'll give you the info I know:

apmd - I think this is power mgmt. I don't even have it installed on my system and I have a simple 2-computer network.

atd - Similar to crond. It runs certain commands at specified times with the 'at' command and other batch commands when the system load is low enough. I leave this running. You can look at commands scripts you have scheduled either with linuxconf or webmin. When Webmin is running, you can access it through your browser at https://127.0.0.1:10000 Linuxconf is run from the command line (a terminal) as root or I think it is accessible through the 'Start' menu (configuration stuff). I like Webmin the best, especially if you have the latest version. Note that if you don't have these starting at boot, you'll have to start them before you can access them.

crond - Runs scripts/commands at specified times. See also atd above.

cups - printer daemon. It's most useful on a network, but runs printer services for a standalone workstation, too. You can have it not run at boot and then start it right before you need to print, but it sits idle and doesn't do anything when there is no printing to be done, so don't worry about it really, leave it running.

devfsd - Not really sure exactly what this does, but it basically treats your devices as a virutal file system. I would leave this running and at boot.

dm - Manages your desktop logons. Leave it starting at boot.

fam - Filesystem monitor. I don't think you really need this running without a network. It lets you know if file permissions change, etc.

harddrake - If you don't add new hardware to your computer frequently (unplug stuff and plug it back in) you can stop this from starting at boot. Some hardware will fool you though. With my regular PS2 mouse, I could stop harddrake from starting at boot with no problems, but since I got my Microsoft Optical mouse, for some reason, it needs to have harddrake detect it at each boot or it won't work. To sum it up, leaving this starting at boot, only really slows down your bootup time a little and I would leave it running. No biggie.

internet - This probably depends whether you use cable/dsl or dialup and I won't give you my opinion on it because I'm unsure.

keytable - Leave it running. It gives you your keyboard keytables, I believe.

kheader - Leave it running.

linuxconf - See the beginning of my post. Configuration tool.

lisa - Not exactly sure what this is.

netfs - I really don't think you need this, but I've never turned mine off.

network - Brings up your eth0 and lo (loopback) connections. If you use a network card for a dsl modem or cable modem, leave it alone. Also if you want to test your security, leave it alone. Basically, I would leave it running. It doesn't hurt anything, even if you may not need it.

nfslock - Not exactly sure

partmon - I think this monitors how close your partitions are to being full and warns you. Not sure.

portmap - Not sure

random - I would leave this running. It helps make your algorithms more random for encryption or if you write shell scripts that need it (I think)

rawdevices - I would leave this running

sound - DUH.

switchprofile - Dunno

syslog - leave running

tmdns - dunno

webmin - See beginning of post

xfs - Not sure

xinetd - leave this running

I believe this is the most in depth answer anyone's ever given. Most people just say 'play around with it, rebooting each time, if your system doesn't work properly, you probably needed that' ;-)

Since fam isn't in the docs provided, I'd like to add a comment to Steve's statement that you turn it off.

Some programs require it to update on file changes. For example, seti@home addons frequently use it.

Edit: Added description of fam:

terry@timestorm: /etc/init.d

11:32:28 $ gaze what fam

GUI tools should not mislead the user; they should display the current state of the system, even when changes to the system originate from outside of the tools themselves. fam and imon help make GUI tools more usable by notifying them when the files they're interested in are created, modified, executed, and removed.

Guest jamesgf

thanks for your replies! I think ill turn off the following services and give it a try

lisa

netfs

nfslock

partmon

portmap

switchprofile

tmdns

webmin

My system is a 1.4 ghz P4 w/ 384mb ram, probably wont notice much change...

-jamie

If you want fam don't turn off portmap. It won't work. There're very, very few apps that use fam. The only 2 I've encountered are nautilus and gedit. They'll still run without fam and portmap unless you're on the internet :roll: then they won't even start. You'll know if a program needs them. If an app won't start, run it from a terminal and it'll tell you it couldn't connect to fam or something like that.